Bye bye Scottish West Highland sea-trout

Sandison

Argyll, re:

" 'Do salmon farms attract sharks?'

No but they seem to attract more than their fair share of desperately stupid people."

With respect, Argyll, if you put breadcrumbs out in your garden, are you surprised that they attract birds?

If birds are attracted, are you then surprised that these birds attract the attention of cats?

If there is an abundence of, say, Mayfly, on a river, are you surprised that they attract trout?

If there is a high rabbit population in an area, are you surprised to notice that there is also, generally, a high number of buzzards and other species of raptor?

Why do you think that cormorants and goosanders are attracted to stocked fisheries?

There is growing evidence that fish farms attract sharks. This does not surprise me.

Bruce

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, now, Bruce, you were almost saying that we bring it upon ourselves, that we're our own worst enemies, there...

Gotta go.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Dear Paul

Are we not, each and every one of us, our own worst enemies? We bring things upon ourselves.

If we don't bring things upon ourselves, then who does - some sort of science fiction accident?

Right or wrong is, eventually, a matter of opinion, maybe?

All that I have discovered in my life is that I have not discovered a lot.

Least of all, how to tempt that glass-case specimen in that lochan to rise to my fly.

I blame the reed bed that prevents me getting my fly into his/her vision

Still, good to try, eh?

Bruce

PS: How old are you? I'm kicking 70.

Sandison:

Dear Paul

Are we not, each and every one of us, our own worst enemies? We bring things upon ourselves.

If we don't bring things upon ourselves, then who does - some sort of science fiction accident?

Right or wrong is, eventually, a matter of opinion, maybe?

All that I have discovered in my life is that I have not discovered a lot.

Least of all, how to tempt that glass-case specimen in that lochan to rise to my fly.

I blame the reed bed that prevents me getting my fly into his/her vision

Still, good to try, eh?

Bruce

PS: How old are you? I'm kicking 70.

We're singing from the same songsheet, Bruce - as I believe you well know. I'm just a tad more 'take no prisoners' (idiots, the calculating yet utterly inept, the cynically media-manipulating profiteers etc, only - the rest aren't worth the effort...) than you...

Age?

Me?

A mere squirt at less than 20 than you, but the mileage, Bruce, oh the mileage...

[ 04. June 2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Argyll, re:

" 'Do salmon farms attract sharks?'

No but they seem to attract more than their fair share of desperately stupid people."

With respect, Argyll, if you put breadcrumbs out in your garden, are you surprised that they attract birds?

Scottish coastal waters have always had more than their fair share of sharks, long before anyone thought of large scale fish farming. Whilst I accept that you have a convenient arguement, it is not necessarily a correct one.

Your analogy about breadcrumbs is not too dissimilar to the one about sprinking magic powder around my house to keep the elephants away... see....I told you it would work. No elephants. Besides...the birds were already there feeding on the natural things in my garden.

[ 05. June 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thanks, Argyll, much appreciated.

Might I ask, please, how do you know that "Scottish coastal waters have always had their fair share of sharks" ?

For instance, what is a "fair share of sharks" ?

Bruce

It use to be 'hand me another worm'. Seems 'hand me another barrel' is now more appropriate. Think I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

read the thread at work but couldn't participate. I have a question for Sandison.

What exactly do you mean by "northern" lochs ?

I know that pike existed in the 50s and 60s in lochs west of Inverness. Don't know if they were/are indigenous though...but they hadn't been put there recently.

Do you include Loch Tay as a "northern" loch? It appears that pike formed part of the diet of iron age man there. That would make then indigenous for me.And not a pac or paas man there to translocate.....