Char baits are Best

Gerbil0154

Hi guys, Sorry I've not been on for a couple of weeks. I'm in Ireland for work and only just got connected to get my daily fix on the Forum.

An update. Derek's done it again! Last weekend he was up north and using char as bait took a 12lb and a 15lb Ferox. (The ratbag! I'll never catch up with him lol). We find most success comes with a wobbled deadbait. Its worth while taking the time when you tie up to get your presentation right especially with one of the zebco mounts. A small change in the mount location makes a big difference in the action.

All of Dereks recent fish have been on the downrigger at depths between 25 and 50 feet. My puny specimens (9lb) and Davids doubles have been trawling at similar depths using a "Plane" such as the fishseeker variety. These have a series of holes allowing you to adjust the depth at which it fishes.

I'm home this weekend so I'll try and post some pictures of his latest doubles, meanwhile tight lines folks

Gerry

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhilB
fergie:

.Might have to do a bit of diy myself.What metal do you use?Was going to use zink easy to cut but too sharp for my liking.

Cheers Fergie

I use sheet brass from a model shop. It is easily cut with tin-snips and the edges are carefully filed and emeryed to make sure there are no sharp edges. I always use wire traces anyway so it shouldn't matter too much. When I get a minute I will measure the thickness of the brass sheet and also post up some photos of the spinning flight and the wobble mounts I have caught fish on. (i.e. they are guaranteed to work! :) )

Guest PhilB

Webtackle008.jpg

Webtackle006.jpg

the brass is 16 thou. or 0.4 mm thick - easy to cut and bend. Spikes are welding rod or thick copper wire. The hooks hang free rather like the hooks on a plug, with the swivels next to each hook sewn to the bait with thin copper wire. Hooks are attached with an oval split ring so if damaged are easily replaced. All this works for me and any constructive criticism is welcome. :)

Hello Phil

What do you use to weld the pin to the mount ,is it solder.I have to make a few up over the next week for trip to Lochy /Arkaig 15th to 18th July.I seen Gerrys pics of Ferox from Arkaig,seems like thats the hot loch at the moment,wonderfull fish and in excellent condition.Managed to buy a couple of cannon easy trolls off ebay so i am looking forward to trying them out.Only thing is the cost of the downrigger weights and releases(this is when i wished i lived in the U.S).Best wishes Kevin.

----------------------

Did you know that fish did not smell till women started swimming in the sea.

Guest PhilB

It is ordinary solder. You need a flux as well - there is not enough in wire solder. Lay the bits out on a brick or a concrete floor (NOT the cooker!) Smear with flux and add a few bits of solder. Heat gently with a blowtorch until the solder melts. Allow to cool and clean off any excess flux. It's dead easy but if you get it wrong just remelt it and reposition everything. Good luck. :)

Hi Heron

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you but I'm now based in Ireland and only sorted an internet connection yesterday.

Although the photograph was taken on the bank in the darkness, Derek actually hooked into the fish around 10-00 at night. It took around 15mins to land. We always revive our fish on the bank in a pupose built tank before photographing and releasing. By the time all of this took place, darkness had fallen.

We have caught ferox after dark, but not too often

Cheers

Gerry

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

yeah I've heard they go quiet at night

sounds like you know what you're doing with the tank n'all

I've had very limited ferox success over two seasons (10 trips-one wee un)

you over in ireland for the forseeable or do you plan on fishing the scottish lochs again, I guess you'll be concentrating on corrib now?

cheers

Heron