Fly Fishing help

dave n

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you are likely to be bank fishing on small fisheries a floater and an intermediate or slow sink will do pretty much what you need

Airflo no go?

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than try to fish with an Airflo floating line :mad:

I have had some very good, very cheap lines, and some very bad not so cheap lines (Airflo!)

These days I use Cortland Rocket tapers 444 or 555 which I buy on Ebay for around £20.00

If you can get a Cortland 444 Peach (colour)floater buy it. Superb line

How much are you willing to spend on a rod?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

A mate of mine bought one of these and he really rates it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7164646336&rd=1

If you get it at the opening price it looks good value

Don't believe all of the hype obviously, but it's as good as lots of rods which cost a lot more. Most rods (including some very expensive "American" designer gear) are far east imports

[ 20. June 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Sportsman ]

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

not sure on how much I do want to pay really...obviously I still have my carp head on and my rods were £260 each 8 yrs ago!...having said that they are the best rods I have ever owned.

I do think tri-cast make the best rods, but again thats carp rods and is probably not applicable for other rods.

I did have a bruce & walker but gave it to my friend for a wedding present 15 yrs ago.

I have fly fished in the past when I was 18 or so, but that was at penine trout fishery which I dont think u can class as true fishing.....I think I used sweeney todd's....white tubular things that look outrageous!

My main aim for fly fishing is to get good at it and enjoy it...I don't want to get into playing the numbers game like carp fishing.

Also I think, as in carping, that there is a lot be learnt ie watercraft, insect patterns/trout behaviour etc...which appeals to me. I beleive there is much more to fishing than catching fish and I want to get very good at fly fishing.

Also I want to be able to fish in winter for trout with results, whereas winter carping is mindnumbingly difficult and takes too much time for little reward often....having said that I did catch a 31 Lb common in winter!

Currently sticking needles in my eyes as we speak because I bought an Airflo off ebay because I laughingly thought I deserved a bargain. I believe it will come in handy for tying up my runner beans (if I actually had any runner beans that is).

dave,

1. Read books

2. Try and avoid small fisheries, get a boat at at Grafham or Rutland if you wish to experience real trout fishing.

3. Actually even that is not so real, you need to join the ferox fishers in Northern Scotland if you want the ultimate experience (I guess).

1. Will do - my company has access to 24 X 7 books online so I'll be staring at a PC for days.

2. Probably have a crack at some local waters get some confidence 1st.

3. I saw Matt hayes testerday morning trying to catch a ferox with a mick taylor....looks difficult!

4. May have a go on the Dwyfor in north wales to get my head around river fishing again.

thanks for the advice

Dave

Airflo lines are famous for having memory i.e. you cast it lovely and straight and it starts retreating towards you in big coils!!!!! Cortland are great lines, although apparently Airflo sinkers and meant to be ok. If I were you, i'd get a floater and imtermediate. I'd also spend some money on the rod - or get a very good used 2nd hand rod. After all, you probably spent fortune on 3 tricast carp rods?!! You only need one fly rod to start with.

I'd start on a small water to get some confidence - then head to somewhere bigger. I used to fish ladybower & Carsington in Derbys, which is a nice fishery but can prove very daunting if you were new to the sport. You will definitely have a day ticket water near you and it'd be good to give your new stuff an airing and get some fish before tackling a reservior or river which are different beasts altogether!!!!

Yes I remember Drennan double strength having the same problem with coiling memory.

There are a number of dayticket waters all within 20 mins of my house which helps.

I also live very close to the Wyre and Lune, so plenty of scope there (salmon and sea trout).