Fly Fishing help

dave n

The advantage of small fisheries to begin with is that you know there are plenty of fish within casting range, so that takes one of the variables out of the eqation. You can move on to the bigger waters once you are confident with the fly rod.

Enjoy

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

With regard to your second point (How does one decide the type of fly/lure/pattern to use?) I normally start out by "matching the hatch" if at all possible. If you've got insects coming off the water try to imitate the approximate size and colour. Of course matching the hatch could also mean using a tadpole or fry imitation at certain times of the year -it's not just about buzzers et al but any type of natural food that the fish are likely to be predating on.

If you there isn't a hatch or you have nothing else to go on, either ask the fishery manager or tie on a big Cat's Whisker and get stripping!

Robin

Guest PhilB
Ian formerly Gobio:

Currently sticking needles in my eyes as we speak because I bought an Airflo off ebay because I laughingly thought I deserved a bargain. I believe it will come in handy for tying up my runner beans (if I actually had any runner beans that is).

You could send it to me thanks, I have got some sweet peas! :D

Airflo floaters?? Maybe they aren't so good, BUT, they Intermediate lines and the Di lines thproduce are the standard lines today on the reservoirs. I have 5 of their sinking lines and find they are OK.

Shakespeare Worcestershire lines are extremely good, but the Snowbee seems to be gaining popularity and they do seem to be the best on the market at present.

I believe Fishtec have some Airflo Delta plus rods for sale at £29.99 in various lengths and weights. I have 2 of them and find they are excellent rods.

Ref. far east imports, I am testing a rod at present made in China for a major manufacturer and all I can say is it's absolutely brilliant. When it comes on the market it will probably retail for £120 - £150 and will do everything a £600 Sage or Loomis will do apart from the snob value!

There is lots of good tackle out there without having to spend a fortune.

Colin

Colin, yes your right there are rods out there that do the same job as sage and loomis, probably the best one being the sharpes range,however to say that the users of sage and loomis only use them for snob value is wrong. I have consistantly used the best fishing tackle I could afford, this has been built cane walker rods, hardy carbon fibre and more recently the sage and loomis rods. I dont go to the pub, although I do drink , I dont smoke my only vices are my family my fishing and my cars. I drive in the main a quite quick VW, which is adequate and does the job as you say, but I also drive a porsche, this does the same job as the VW but is more fun to drive and more capable. It is the same with my rods some are adequate but then some are a joy to use. I have no real pride in them they just do what I want without a problem, I happily hand them over to boat partners if they are doing a job that their rods cant, its a matter of priorities, I had earned some extra money and bought the rods and dont regret the investment. :)