Fly Fishing help

dave n

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jim doyle:

however to say that the users of sage and loomis only use them for snob value is wrong.  

Jim,

Perhaps I didn't quite phrase that correctly, for which I apologise.

Perhaps I should have said for the snob value that some [not all] anglers attach to them.

Let's face it some people only buy them because they cost a lot.

Others buy them because they can.

A rod doesn't make you or me a better angler. I doubt very much I would catch anymore with a Sage or Loomis than I do using a Airflo Delta at £30.

I doubt you would catch anymore if you used the £30 Airflo.

Colin :)

I'm sorry but it's not about price. It's about feel and balance. I like Sages because of this quality. If I can't afford to fork out the cash right away I save my money and then go out and buy it. If money was no object I'd have a Maver 16 meter super lithium pole by now. Now that's a second mortgage! Last time I looked the price of one of those was over 5,000 pounds. That equals more than $10,000.00 in US currency.

A Teton Tioga in fly reel prices isn't very expensive. I paid less than $120.00 for the reel and the line costs about the same as pretty much any fly line costs at any fly shop.

just a thought.

Randy

My advice, if you are starting to learn to cast from square one, would be to buy as long a garden cane as you can find.

Tie a length of string to the top, and, in the garden, get used to the action and technique of using the cane to cast the string.

One you have mastered that, you should be able to cast with any rod, regardless of the price of the rod.

I think that, sometimes, begining with a professionally designed and manufactured rod, is detrimental, rather than and aid, to learning how to cast.

Modern rods are so well-designed that they do most of the work for you, once you understand them, and, as such, 'hide' from you the basic techniques that you really need to know.

When you do buy a rod, then, by all means buy the best that you can afford, and get casting lessons from a professional.

If you have spare cash, then invest it in the reel, rather than in the rod.

As described above is how I began fishing. My first 'proper' rod was a 12ft greenheart, and for the past thirty years I have, happily, used a built cane rod.

Each to his own, but as has already been mentioned, spending a lot of money of a rod will not, magically, make you into a better angler.

Enjoy every moment of this well-loved passtime and good luck in all you do.

Bruce

Bruce

I have been practising for 2 months with my cousins 10' fly rod on the beach and can stick a 10'leader on a dustbin lid from about 25yds, so the actual casting is ok...it's more choosing a fly that I'm stuck with....anyway I have ordered some tackle from north west angling center and will be on a lake next saturday....steep learning curve but looking forward to it immensely.

Carping tomorrow morning for a few hours...gotta go make some boilies!

Hi. Ref your point about Flyfishing venues in your area... you are really well placed for a number of good venues. Bank House Fly Fishery, Caton Lancs is a good spot. Stocks Reservoir by Clitheroe is another good venue as is Barnsfold at Goosnargh. If you want river fishing, The Lune and the Ribble are just a stone's throw away too. I run a bit of a fun website for fly fishing in the northwest and have venue information etc on there. Try www.flyfishnorthwest.co.uk the venue map is on the home page on the lefthand side near the bottom. There are also a number of places you can get top calss tuition if you want it.