Braided leader loops....help!!!!

Severn Wolf

Vagabond:

...and Tony, I have had "Bows" and tarpon to over 20 lb on needle-knots - never had a failure of the needle-knot.  

Don't doubt you for a moment; but what is the best way to needle knot the fine diameter point on a modern 5/6# line?

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a fine needle Yes it gets more difficult with small diameters, but I have used this method down to #3 lines.

What diameter of tip are you talking about?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I use both methods, on my floating lines I needle knot on allthe rest I use loops. The reason I needle knot floaters is to do with presentation, I also find that it is easier to push a needle back towards the end of the line ,then feed the nylon in the same way, cut the leader at an angle, it makes a point which is easier to push through. Loops are always glued as some have pointed out they come off if not under tension.

I believe that the glue and tube method will suffice for most fishing but what worries me more is the loop to loop on the braid. After a few hard days it appears to be very flimsy and retains less than 50% of its original strength. This was actually tested after the loss of a couple of decent fish. As a result I tend to use needle or nail knots on the freshwater gear, but on the heavy stuff I whip a loop of the flyline itself. Just bare the end of the line (about 2"), fold it back to make a loop about 1/2" long and whip the end tightly to the standing line. For the whipping I use thin braid of about 6lb test, and whip the whole 2". It hasn't failed yet, but it is a bit of a pain to do.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

I think i will use Fin-S' methond and loop the ends of my saltwater lines and stick with the braided loops on my trout gear.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Jim.

Cheers mate, just got the PM, appreciate it. I`ve got another five of them so will dab a touch of glue to see if that helps. Didn`t want to use the stuff incase it stiffened a section of the line and gave problems going through the tip ring

wolf.gif

• 2 months later...

I strip back an inch or two of the flyline and form a loop from the core. Braided loops tend to create problems when playing fish close in on long leaders unless superglue is used. Super glue then tends to make that area of the line stiff creating other problems when playing fish close in. The braided loops and leaders also tend to fray.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

No problems with the braided loops for me either. I do make a point of trimming the sleve to a taper to ensure it passes though the tip ring should the need arise, which it should not as I normally use around 20ft leaders.

I don't get to fish small streams where I can see the benefit of a neater join with a needle knot allowing more finesse.

I always carry a couple spare plus some glue etc as a spares kit and have saved the day for several anglers over the years.

Andrew Boyd