avon/quiver rod test curves

hi all

with the new river season coming up i've decided to invest in a new avon/quiver rod, i have ordered a shimano hyperloop barbel rod,with a 1.75lb test curve,i will be fishing a small fairly pacey river,i opted for this as there are some large carp resident + barbel and chub,to be honest you could hook any one of them!plus streamer weed cabbages etc..i also want to use the rod for tench n bream,i now think the 1.75 is to powerfull and is more for big fast rivers?and i should opt for the 1.5lb version instead but is it powerfull enough?im confused and cant decide to wich will be best for my purposes...help...please...!?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratty.

IMHO.

The 1.5 may not be good for casting the method or for feeder, if that is it's intended use, get some weight on it and it would bend too much. If as you say you could hook a weighty fish you would have less control over it, and in fast flowing water thats just what you need.

For the conditions you say you will be fishing the 1.75 would be the better choice.

yeah i'm trying to convice my self that,i think if i am going to use it for bream n tench it will be on big pits n ressies so 1.75 would be better there but i dont want to heavy a rod for the chub :( ill continue arguing with my mad self...by the way wots IMHO??

AKA RATTY

Hi Ratty,there was an earlier topic on here re avon rods.Only a personal opinion,but do you really need 1.75lb test curve for a small river!!,surely 1.5lb is plenty and even 1 1/4lb test curve is capable of landing barbel and chub,even carp,although if that weedy,then perhaps 1.5lb would suit better.Also avon rods are certainly not for throwing out method feeders!!

chuby.

IMHO is In My Humble Opinion, and IMHO you need a 1 1/14 or 1 1/2 test curve rod, anything bigger is massive overkill

hmmm true but man u should see these carp im talking 30+ thats whaht theve been caught at.plus very weedy.and IMHO a avon rod is more than just a river rod-floaters i hear...the oher thing is i use a baitdropper a lot n one fully loaded weighs a fair bit,i would take an extra rod but i travel light so that wouldnt be a choice.hhmmm decisons decisons..

[ 16. May 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

ratty46 - IMHO is certainly 'In My Humble Opinion' but he forgot to mention it is sarcastic. IMO - In My Opinion - is not.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

if you're targetting 30lb + carp and using a bait dropper, maybe an avon rod isnt the right rod for you.......

i wasnt aware i was being sarcastic newt, i'll remember that next time.......

duly noted sir,thank you,i wasnt being sarcastic..anyway wot do you think i should go for newt?jeepster>> 1.i didnt say i was fishing for carp(barbel n chub are the target) but they do turn up n yes they do get hooked.(and lost through inadiqate tackle) 2.i use a baitdropper in a small wierpool to get the bait down or i use pva bags. i haven't been on this forum long and i dont want to argue but im not stupid mate so dont talk to me like i am.>ok.

[ 16. May 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

Ratty,yes avons are pretty versatile rods,but there are limits,as i said they really aren't for chucking out method feeders.The truth is you aint gonna get a rod that will cover every aspect.If you are going all out for carp of 30lb, then an avon probably isnt the tool to useHowever for chub,barbel and moderate sized carp then no problem.

chuby