Good Fly!

Guest franticfisherman2

Guest PhilB

Had a great day at Kiplin Hall with this fly in size 12 and 14. Try this OLIVE NYMPH (invented by my bruv);

HOOK 12 or 14

TAIL olive cock hackle fibres

BODY light olive thread (tapered)

RIB brown tying thread

THORAX dubbed hare's lug (the short dark fur)

WING CASE crow herl

Webnymph.jpg

There was a hatch of small olives so the size 14 did best and caught 10 fish on it's own. The bag of 4 included a couple of stockies and 2 nice silver and slimmed down fish;

Web4trout.jpg

We had a good day on Coniston last week with a tasty bag of char like this one up to 12" (they don't get much bigger than this in that lake). I can hear them sizzling in the frying pan - yummy. :)

Webchar.jpg

Fly looks pretty good Phil,char looks pretty good too,i bet it was tasty.By the way Phil the way you and your bruv's luck is going just now you could probably stick that fly on your downrigger and winkle out another 12 lb whopper.At the mo fishing is on for Sat so hope the weather holds,cheers for now Kev.

Guest PhilB

P.S. "showers" means it'll rain constantly with hail, thunder and lightning mixed in!

"8 mph wind" means it'll be howling a gale with 5 foot waves at the bottom end of the loch! :D Have a nice day.

Norfolkdan:

The 3rd trout down in the top pic, is that a Rainbow, or a different varient of the species?

Looks like a triploid (artificially created infertile) Rainbow to me.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

All them were rainbows and were hen fish, (they all had a small amount of spawn in them when gutted). As far as I know the manager doesn't stock triploids there. The third fish has probably been in the water for several weeks if not months, as it contained no fat in the gut, the silver rays on the tail and slim body are also typical. Kiplin is quite a big lake and is fairly lightly fished with no boats on it so there is an opportunity for fish to "grow on" to "bars of silver" - I will be back! :)

Nice pics ff2 , and nice fish too.

That fly looks very business-like. There is nothing like catching a fish on a fly tied by yourself (or your bruv )

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...