Any tips for Colwick Lake in Nottingham?

wozzamozza

Not been to colwick since it opened, Caught my first trout there when fishing unaccompanied.

I was surprised how much it had matured, Best place then was bound to be opposite the Hut and boats. Its Deep but was artificially raised with a huge heap of old tyres just about casting distance from the bank.

visited againlast year surprised how much it had changed. a boat in the bay with a slipway on the bank seemed quite succesful.

Locally if prefer a small lake at wymeswold off the A46 near the go carting circuit that ive got to know well.

Directions if required use trent bridge to water sports centre round the gamston lings bar road past safeway/morrisons. left at the roundabout (keyworth direction) onto a46 take right towards Leicester after durham ox but before the Golf course there is a left for wymeswold. at the junction go left after a low dip as you come out the fishery is on the right (carp lake at the top) strawberry field opposite.

Thats where ill be this evening if daves not watching the world cup

• 2 weeks later...
Not been to colwick since it opened, Caught my first trout there when fishing unaccompanied.

I was surprised how much it had matured, Best place then was bound to be opposite the Hut and boats. Its Deep but was artificially raised with a huge heap of old tyres just about casting distance from the bank.

visited againlast year surprised how much it had changed. a boat in the bay with a slipway on the bank seemed quite succesful.

Locally if prefer a small lake at wymeswold off the A46 near the go carting circuit that ive got to know well.

Directions if required use trent bridge to water sports centre round the gamston lings bar road past safeway/morrisons. left at the roundabout (keyworth direction) onto a46 take right towards Leicester after durham ox but before the Golf course there is a left for wymeswold. at the junction go left after a low dip as you come out the fishery is on the right (carp lake at the top) strawberry field opposite.

Thats where ill be this evening if daves not watching the world cup

I visited Colwick recently, as I pulled into the car park, and elderly Gentleman had just started to fish. I decided to have a quick chat with him, and before I reached him he had landed his first fish, he said he was happy to talk to me, and it transpired he was only 86 years old, and he had turned up to catch a couple of fish them he was off home. After about 15 mins fishing and one or two photos the Gentleman landed his second fish. He bid me good day and made his way back to the car park. I decided to stop and chat to some other Anglers on the adjacent bank, been ere for ours mate, nuffin doin. Think it's the wind, I concluded that this must be the wrong type of wind for them, I wished them well and bid them good day.

Seems there is no substitute for experience.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
brilliant. :lol:

i'll hopefully try to get up there agian soon. i'll keep an eye for the chap with the advice.

wozzamozza

hi mate,walked round this weekend,most people were catching,bank and boat.

I feel it always fishers well at start of the season,then gets poor as the warm weather arrives.

Not fished it yet,but after walking round at the weekend i have not stoped thinking about it.

...........It looked fantastic...........................

cheers Kev,

I’m planning to return there at the end of September, when things should have cooled down a bit. I’ve never felt water so warm!

I tried Walthamstow a couple of times last week during the hot days and had nothing, tried all over the two lakes in all the usual places and the usual flies, but nadda. no-one else caught either.

although it's nice to get out in the sun and the warm weather, I’ve learnt not to expect much.

do you fish Colwick much?

cheers wozza mozza

Walthamstow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Cormorant city they call it :yucky: