fly fishing for coarse fish

Russell Fitzpatrick

hi all

i have just been given a 10 ft abu fly rod,rated 7/8? and a shakespear zenith reel.

what coarse species could i target with this?

pike? carp? chub? any ideas chaps?

i have never fly fished before either!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Perch, Dace, Roach and Rudd could be added to that list but the rod is a tad heavy to get the best out of them.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Best coarse fish on fly is rudd... try a small black gnat - try and get yourself a 4 or 5 wt rod, and its amazing fun - much harder to hook than trout, more akin to grayling I guess, but good fun...

Fellas, I'd hate to learn casting with an 8 wt though. Struggled a bit with one in Florida, dropped down to a 6 wt (same model, same reel, same line make) and cast much better. Reckon I'd sooner spin for Pike and use a small rod for rudd and a small black gnat.....Russell needs to CATCH! :)

I tried this for the first time this year. bought myself a 6 wt rod with floating line. tried daddy long legs dry fly mostly and aimed at getting chub off the surface. didn't get one and went back to using bread free lined on a coarse rod with much more success. i will give it another try in the near future though. next summer might have a go for carp on my club lake when they are taking off the top.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Get a 6/7wt 9'6" mid action fly rod with a floating weight forward fly line (and plenty of backing) and go after some carp. I use hedgehog flies having first got the carp up on the surface with a few dog mixers....a word of warning, when you hook one hang on for dear life and play them on the reel if you want to avoid line burns. I caught an 18 pounder and it took nearly half an hour to bring in. Even 8 to 10 pound fish put up an incredible fight. Going back to a carp rod afterwards is very difficult as it's so bloody easy!

Yep I love fishing for Rudd on the fly

Try a few blown maggots sent downsteam to get chub, rudd and dace to look up. The a red pattern on the fly.

You will need to go small on the hook size.

"Muddlin' along"

cheers for the replies guys,

i have aqquired some flies, i have a black gnat,daddy long legs,mayflY,and some other one!

i have already thought about carp on mixesr with fly gear,plus a freind of mine is a rudd genius,and unkbeknown to me is a bit of a fluff chucker(hes had lessons and coaching ya know!) so next year we are giving them ago two pounders are very possible.

chub i fancy a crack at with ny daddys! i love chub,getting one on a fly would be great.

so what do i need for chub rudd and carp what lines hooks etc a guide for each would be lovely if a little cheeky!

[ 09. October 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Ratty Fitzpatrick46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Used to get my coarse fish,mainly dace when targeting trout on the river Tyne. Used to fish with a 4lb mono trace and normal fly size was a 14.

Seen John Wilson getting carp on fly gear on a tv programme. I think he was using floating dog biscuits as bait.Not sure what strength leader he was using though.

Best of luck Ratty

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy