like to try my hand

frodo_uk

thx everyone, for the advice and links. the links are very interesting and i will follow them up in due course. The advice on the argos gear seems clear enough, so wont be buying from their this time. Totally understand where sportsmans coming from about the second hand gear as well ...see you all soon I hope ...tight lines.

I'm fairly new to fly-fishing myself (about 10 months) and would like to recommend the Greys GRX 6/7wt 9' 6" 2 piece rod (approx £100) and the Greys GRX 5/6 size reel (approx £50) as they balance really well and won't let you down. Also, the new Greys GRXi rods are coming out soon so you might be able to get the GRX at a knockdown price. As for lines, a Cortland 444 WF7F is a good starting point (approx £35). I have caught trout, carp and chub on this set up and it's good fun, especially the carp! I agree with your other repondents, don't buy fishing tackle from Argos. A good tackle shop will be able to help you far better and cheaper, especially with fly gear.