A Mild Week

Chris Plumb

Things are working out very nicely here - the Thames is back in its banks and a nice greeny colour, the tributaries are fining down well and I reckon the perch stream will be just about perfect. This coming weekend looks awesome - always a bad sign!

I've been lucky with chub recently so I think it's back to perch and see if I can't find a real monster...my first 4lber would be rather nice!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 4 days of purgatory ahead of me! Why? I've got Friday off to go fishing - Paul and I will be after a monster Kennet dace - and weather conditions are spot on at the moment - I'm praying it stays that way!!!!

Anyone else got plans for the last month of the season?

Presumably paid purgatory so it can’t be that bad.

My plans for the last month involve using up five days of holiday, the first of which will be this Friday too. Got a pass out for Saturday as well.

I’m going to put the centrepin away and go for my first Barbel, I’m keen to try a new rod and reel bought specifically for that purpose and with luck I’ll learn more than how it casts and retrieves. Either at Rainsford or the stretch near Aldermaston, not sure yet.

Will the milder weather be good for Barbel? My plan is to look very knowledgeable about watercraft and pre bait a few swims with hemp. Then I’ll try a hair rigged halibut pellet in the first swim for half hour or so and wander down to the others if nothing happens. I did consider rolling meat but I want to practice a bit on an easier stretch first.

If I catch one you won’t hear the last of it for a while.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Good luck Rusty, Rainsford is the only place i have consistantly caught Kennet barbel from this season TAAs other stretch at Padworth has been very poor as has just about all my usual barbel haunts as well.

Not been barbel fishing since October so am not sure of recent catches but tight lines all the same.

I am going to go out on sunday!! Just to one of my clubs stillwaters!!

Do you think it will be too early for tench?? Think i may try it anyway - go for a maggot/worm/pellet/corn and g-bait approach on the pole tight to emerging lillies and bays on the pool!! This may produce some perch aswell if i keep the worm going in!! and it is too early for corn in my eyes?!?! hmmmm maybe i'll have a go on the match pool and start warming up for the spring league

If all else fails i will go for whatever comes along on a smallish feeder!!

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Good luck Chris!

I managed to rush to a local stream after work and grab about 40 minutes of chubbing before it was completely dark - a 2.5lber on cheesepaste right as I was about to leave avoided a blank! Strangely the level is well up from when I was last there a few days ago, and we haven't had any rain, so it can only be snow melt. Not good! I had high hopes for this weekend, we'll have to see how it turns out. But it is lovely and mild, so fingers crossed for a big chub and a big perch...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had a little walk along the local river late yesterday afternoon and managed five chub up to 3lb trotting maggots on the hook. A bit of a change from several blanks in during the sub zero spell. Roll on higher temps.

Teme's looking good for barbel though! with the river only about 15" above normal and dropping and at 7.9oC (46.2F) and rising about 0.5oC a day.

I am absolutely determined to catch something on luncheon meat this year!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!