Suffolk Stour

Lastcast

Hi all, could anyone advise me of any stretches on the Suffolk Stour that are still free fishing or day ticket ? I haven't fished the river for years and would like to put a few days in before the season ends. Prefer to do a bit of roving rather than stick to one swim. Thanks.

"Oh to be out in the old grey boat"

Hi all, could anyone advise me of any stretches on the Suffolk Stour that are still free fishing or day ticket ? I haven't fished the river for years and would like to put a few days in before the season ends. Prefer to do a bit of roving rather than stick to one swim. Thanks.

You can fish for free at Dedham Mill, and can buy a day ticket on the bank for the LAA stretches.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Like Steve said, Dedham mill pool is day ticket and a small section just up stream. I belive the bailiff comes round still but i might be wrong. the LAA streaches up glemford way are day ticket and good fishing. Depending on how much time yuo intend to do down there it might be worth joining CAPS they control sa lot of mid sections of the stour and theres some good fishing to be had with a little homework and exploring. I fish it regular myself and its a very underated river with a lot of potential.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Hi

I spend lots of my time fishing, bailiffing, and working on large sections of the stour. I know it very well.

The river is quite long so if you are interested in anything between bures and haverhill ask and I can tell you.

Had a quick 2 hours after work last night and had several roach and a chub of 4lb 7 ozs. A fishing mate had a chub today of 5.5 and some good perch. I tried a short session again on way home and had lots of roach with the best at 1lb 4 0zs. These are all from streamy sections of the river so are specimen fish for the size of river.

If you want to fish between now and end of season forget caps. There are very few free sections at this end of river. If you are going to fish next season you can join sudbury/melford club now and fish this end of season and all next season for 1 years membership.

I can call you daytime and explain any of what I know if you wish.

Otherwise ask here and I can expand.

regards

john

Thanks for all your suggestions, to be honest i haven't ventured onto the Stour for over 20+ years !! ( not sure why, as it's almost on my doorstep)

I used to know the river well from Stratford st Mary down to Brantham (flounders,Mullet & trout at Flatford).

John, I'm at work now for 5 nights so will be in contact next week. thanks again.

"Oh to be out in the old grey boat"

Thanks for all your suggestions, to be honest i haven't ventured onto the Stour for over 20+ years !! ( not sure why, as it's almost on my doorstep)

I used to know the river well from Stratford st Mary down to Brantham (flounders,Mullet & trout at Flatford).

John, I'm at work now for 5 nights so will be in contact next week. thanks again.

Was that before the 'tidal barrier' was put in at Cattawade, or was it fishing the saline tidal stretch below the sluice at Flatford?

I'd be surprised if mullet etc would survive in the main river nowadays.

There's a fair bit of free fishing around the watermeadows at Sudbury

Hi

I am sorry but the water meadows at Sudbury are not free fishing.

They are Sudbury, Long Melford waters. The land is not public land it is owned by the freemen of Sudbury which controls all the meadows.

They are availeable on dayticket however.

There is a small section of free fishing at Rodbridge picnic area which is council owned.

regards

John

Apologies for that, I've been inadvertently poaching.

No apologies needed if you were not bailiffed and sold a ticket its our fault.

Hope you enjoyed your fishing there. There are some huge chubb, large shoals of roach and dace. good predators and recently a barbel caught in the weirpool of 2.5 lbs. No doubt from the large stocking a few years ago.

regards

John

No apologies needed if you were not bailiffed and sold a ticket its our fault.

Hope you enjoyed your fishing there. There are some huge chubb, large shoals of roach and dace. good predators and recently a barbel caught in the weirpool of 2.5 lbs. No doubt from the large stocking a few years ago.

regards

John

I've seen some decent chub around there,I've mostly been casting lures when walking with the family.

A couple of years ago I was surprised to see a heron with a tench of half a pound or so that it had caught from one of the drains in the meadow 'behind' the weirpool.