Cut a space in the weed ?

craynerd

I`ve just been watching "record breaking fish" with mat hayes and :S upps forgot his name, anyways they were fishing for tench i think, and the other guy decided to clear his spot of weed.....so....he chucked in a huge garden rake attached to rope, and dragged it asore, scraping the surface clean!!

The lodge i fish is really really weedy, and they have just paid 6k to kill of a load of lillys that were takin over the pond! Basically now after winter, there is shed loads of that very very fine green silky weed and dead lilly roots. Nobody fishes that side because it USE to be so weedy, now you can definately land a fish there (i know cuz i`ve landed a few with no probs at all - and others ar starting to fish there) and i fancy having a go...putting in the effort, de-weeding and prebaiting it clean.

The lodge is really not fished often so chucking rakes in and sploshing around isnt a concern. Infact creating a peg would probably be a good thing. Basically no worries in the disturbance issues!

My thought is, chuck in the rake about 15 foot and pull to shore for a good 30 minutes. Maybe a strip about 2 1/2 foot wide ? But do it until i can feel its almost clear. Run a lead around to check. Then use vitalin , hemp, pellet and boilie soaked balls and throw them the length of the strip, say monday. Wednesday the same again. Then prebait another few times but this time really concentrating on a small section of the strip about 12 foot out. Fish the spot !!

What do you recon, like i say the waters hardly fished, last night was the first time i`ve ever fished when someone else has been on the water.

Water disturbance would have no effect on the fish right ?

Any criticism, opinions or advice welcome...only i`m sick of fishin the same crappy pegs and that side of the lodge is much nicer, just the water has been overgrown for ages there! But not now!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Sounds like a good plan to me. One thing I will stress is to throw the weed you have pulled out back in to the waters edge or you might get a few grumbles about killing all the insect life in it. You dont need to go over the top with the prebaiting as the fish will come to the area to feed on all the food you have disturbed so just a couple of handfulls of vitalin with a few of your chosen hook baits mixed in should be fine. I say handfulls and not balls because if the bottem is silty then the balls will just sink in to it.

Tight lines

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

cheers for the comment ant, and good thinking about insects eco stuff!

Here fishy fishy.......

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Cray,

This is a good tactic for tench fishing. I wouldn't bother with the prebaiting, but have your tackle set up and ready to cast in as soon as you've finished dragging. The tench will be in there like a shot milling around in the disturbed lake bed.

Also, when you start don't throw the drag the whole way out. Start close in and work your way out with each chuck. A drag full of wet weed is mighty heavy!

'One thing I will stress is to throw the weed you have pulled out back in to the waters edge or you might get a few grumbles about killing all the insect life in it.' I think this is most important as well.

tench - i`m more after the carp!?!? will it still work

Here fishy fishy.......

I personly dont like the idea, there has been a topic covering this me thinks a while back, but cant find it. lol.

I dont like it because as has been said previously it destroys other creatures habitats and also natural feeding grounds, all you need to do to clear the spot is chuck in a few kilos of hemp and maize, and within a few weeks of doing this continuously you will have a beautifuly clean natural bottom to fish on, and also a new feeding ground for the fishies to be caught from,

Well thats just my views :)

Regs..ant

carping_mad:

I dont like it because as has been said previously it destroys other creatures habitats and also natural feeding grounds, all you need to do to clear the spot is chuck in a few kilos of hemp and maize, and within a few weeks of doing this continuously you will have a beautifuly clean natural bottom to fish on, and also a new feeding ground for the fishies to be caught from,

Carp rooting for feed will do the same thing (more completely although slightly slower) than a rake. Less overall, long term damage done using the rake.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

carping_mad:

all you need to do to clear the spot is chuck in a few kilos of hemp and maize, and within a few weeks of doing this continuously you will have a beautifuly clean natural bottom to fish on, and also a new feeding ground for the fishies to be caught from,

Well thats just my views :)

Regs..ant

Absolutely in agreement period

[ 23. April 2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]