Shimano baitrunners

Anderoo

A good few years ago I decided to trust the hype and bought a couple of the Shimano Aero GTE 5000 baitrunners. That turned out to be a very good decision, they're every bit as good as everyone says, and I wouldn't swap them for anything. Just recently I've been using three rods some of the time and so decided to get a third reel. I had a look at all the new baitrunners and didn't like any of them - tacky colours, far too big and heavy, dodgy clutches (from locked up to very loose in half a turn) and just that feeling of something lacking. So I eventually found one like my old ones on ebay and, thankfully, won that at a decent price. There are very, very few around, which I think tells its own story...

It would be a real shame if Shimano gradually ran their baitrunners into the ground. If I had to buy a sensible sized free-spool reel now, and either didn't know about the old baitrunners or couldn't get hold of one, I'd probably be looking at the Okumas.

Does anyone know if Shimano will still service old reels? I want to look after these, they've done nearly 10 years' hard work without breaking into a sweat, and will probably outlast me as long as they're cared for.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good luck - when one of my old GTM4000's went wrong (over 10 years old) they told me they only stock parts for models from the last five years.

They do have stock for older models but once its gone its gone.

Sometimes they can fix reels with a part from another model, they did this with an old super aero of mine.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Good luck - when one of my old GTM4000's went wrong (over 10 years old) they told me they only stock parts for models from the last five years.

They do have stock for older models but once its gone its gone.

Sometimes they can fix reels with a part from another model, they did this with an old super aero of mine.

Ah, OK, thanks Rudd. There's nothing wrong with them at the moment thankfully, I guess I'll have to keep it that way...

I was looking forward to getting excited about the new models, but I was very unimpressed.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

annoyingly i ordered one of the older models a few years back as i didn't want the flashy colour of the newer model. i was sent a GTE-B instead :angry:. after a couple of years of moderate use, it failed. on the plus side shimano felindre fixed it FOC.

my older baitrunners have been going for over a decade. baitrunners were the standard, maybe this isn't the case anymore?

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Ive very little faith in Shimano for spares Im afraid.Hard enough to get a spare sometimes for current models let alone older ones! Same with spare spools.

Not much faith in Shimano Felindre eitherafter the long running performance I had with them over a part for the reels we used for catting.The actual part wasnt shown on the exploded schematics so their staff denied it existed (in quite a rude condecending way as well) in the end I had to get them to ge one off the shelf,pop the spool of and see for them selves! ....still didnt supply the right item though and charged a lot for doing so!

Suppose weve got to move with the times.New (I say new but realy they jusy have different cosmetics and seemingly lower engineering quality) models every year to attract he "keeping up with the Jones's" brigades custom soon runs them out of "good" ideas.Days of buying a for all intents and purposes "same" Mitchell 300 for several decades and then when the model is finally properly updated/discontinued still being able to get spares several decades after as well are sadly long gone! Not an improvement in my mind but its the same with every thing,a truely "throw away society".

The period that some major manufcturers (Shimano IMO being just one) hold spares for is the same in my mind that a well made product shouldnt need any for! Kind of ironic realy!But have the big companies created this sitution and we re slaves to it or more likely have we created it and them just giving (gladly at that!) us what we want?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Anderoo, I'd certainly have a look at the Mitchell Avorunner 3500 before you part with your cash. A nice 'normal' size FS reel with baitrunner facility.

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/fishin.../mitchell/7384/

Thanks Rusty but you're too late! The Shimano was only about a tenner more than that, and I know exactly what I'm getting. Those original GTEs (before the Bs and the Cs) are brilliant, and I know they balance my rods perfectly too.

Luckily they haven't decided to "improve" the US version since the upgrade to the "B" version a few years ago. It is as always both in design and function so if you really want Shimano, Here is what they look like and the prices.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President