Bite alarm set up

Now to alot of people this will seem like a very stupid question, but were all beginners once!

I am slighty unsure how to set my bobbins on my bite alarm up correctly, at the moment the line is very very tight, should it be like this?

From casting out am i suppose to wind down and make it really tight?

Any help will gladly recieved!

Cheers

JPL

Not a silly question at all JPL, I will fish slack lines without a bobbin in open water with sinking braid, but, if i am tight to an island or snag i would fish tight to my back lead ONLY.. and set my bobbin/swinger for a dropback bite very high and sensitive ie; pull the sliding weight nearest you if its a swinger (load the weight).... hangers, then add a little more weight than normal to it giving you dropback sensitivity .. but be careful not to wind in the slack to lift the back lead...if theres a sloping margin in front of you then forget the back lead go for a flying back lead instead.. a good tip is if you get a liner then fish may be in your swim adjust your length accordingly... good luck

[ 10. October 2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Common 40:

Not a silly question at all JPL, I will fish slack lines without a bobbin in open water with sinking braid, but, if i am tight to an island or snag i would fish tight to my back lead ONLY.. and set my bobbin/swinger for a dropback bite very high and sensitive ie; pull the sliding weight nearest you if its a swinger (load the weight).... hangers, then add a little more weight than normal to it giving you dropback sensitivity .. but be careful not to wind in the slack to lift the back lead...if theres a sloping margin in front of you then forget the back lead go for a flying back lead instead.. a good tip is if you get a liner then fish may be in your swim adjust your length accordingly... good luck

Ace advice Common 40 :)

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

a few weeks ago all that I was getting all session was line bites, this seemed to scare them off after a while. This was close to an island, so next time I think I will try and fish a bit slacker to try and avoid the liners, also thanks for the great tips Common 40

Cheers

JPL

my pleasure JPL, also IF YOU HAVE THE TIME? fish beyond your desired range!! make the liners work in your favour, ie: I personally 9/10 times will cast on my first day of a long session, after the plumbing/leading around, much further than I intend, just to get a line bite! in the hope I can get the generall patroll route of the buggers. Then I will adjust my length all day till I am on um hopefully... (FISH FOR LINERS) it's another string to your bow especially in winter when visibility/movement/any showing signs/ are scarce?

[ 10. October 2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

million dollar questin JPL, I would only fish to the island, if I thought or saw them there?

end of the day that's where most day anglers would chuck their bait..I reckon I would fish the margins in that scenario but,,if I see fish at the island and it was in catapult range, then it woud be a single bait on the hair and freebies every 20 mins or so..I would never fish a pva personally on a 24 hour sesh, but I know alot that do to success? difficult one mate, I would have to see the venue (IMO)

[ 10. October 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]