how do i fish a new venue

Have said this on various forums in the past but I have been using pepperami for 12 years and nothing else and have had my share of carp including my PB 41lb 4oz.That includes fishing new waters from time to time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grouter - is that standard pepperami, ie the one in the green silverfoil ....

pepersmi - its a bit of an animal

that one??

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Does'nt anyone bother with finding the fish anymore then? Is it just a case of finding a wonder bait and lobbing it in?

The title of this thread is, after all, "how do I fish a new venue"???????

New venue, new fish

Ask the owner if you can walk round the venue for a few weeks with a plumbing kit / marker rod.

Also take some hemp and corn, pen and paper.

Draw yourself a map of venue and put in features including underwater features found with plumbing kit.

As the sun comes up/goes down you can mark North / South / East / West on your map (best done with a compass but how many of us carry one?)

Once you find likely looking features prebait with hemp and corn.

Another alternitive is trout pellet with homemade trout pellet boilies.

I really dont see the need to use all the expensive baits recommended by other posters.

New venue - new fish, they will eat anything until they start to wise up.

Hemp works for all species on just about every venue in the land.

Corn works well on most venues at the start of the season untril fish wise up, then you change the colour / flavouring of the stuff.

Both can be obtained in bulk dirt cheap.

If you get plagued by other species switch your hookbait to maize.

Other alternatives are meat baits or bread.

Also if you are the first to get them feeding on the top you are in for some good sessions until they wise up which wont take long.

A few seaons ago Ladywood club took over a small resi which had not been fished for 14 years.

It had carp, a few tench and loads of roach / rudd which had never seen a hook.

It was also snag and weed free for most of the time.

Used the hemp/corn combi to devastating effect.

Heavy carp waggler rod, 6lb main line straight through, small waggler and corn fished on a 14 hook.

On average I would expect four or five takes in an evening session.

After a couple of months could not buy a bite on corn but switched to bread, then meat then floating baits and caught carp on every visit for the whole season.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Excellent info there Rudd. The only issue I have with plumbing and marker rods is I don't know how to use them. I got a depthometer for Christmas but haven't got round to using it yet (it's a Reuben Heaton one which you attach to the end of your line and I assume a weight if you want and cast it out. As it drops through the water the depthometer fills up with water and stops when it hits the bottom, supposedly)

James

grouter:

Have said this on various forums in the past but I have been using pepperami for 12 years and nothing else and have had my share of carp including my PB 41lb 4oz.That includes fishing new waters from time to time.

pepperami is my all time favourite bait, i've had my PB chub and PB river and lake carp on it. i usually use the standard (green) one, but from time to time i've used the spicy (red) one and had some luck on that as well. it never comes off the hair, and its smell and flavour seem to last for ages, plus if you get hungry you can eat it yourself too

mpbdsnu:

Does'nt anyone bother with finding the fish anymore then? Is it just a case of finding a wonder bait and lobbing it in?

The title of this thread is, after all, "how do I fish a new venue"???????

Not flaming you or anything but although that was the title of the subject , his actual question was :

""" but im only allowed to use frozen boilies

is there any frozen boilies out there that really do the trick """

I think thats why everyone has answered with responses to bait! Otherwise you would have seen more posts with markering ect...

Just clarifying...

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Jeepster - thanks for the info about pepperami, i`ll give it a go for sure!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

So advising the chap to find the fish and not worry too much about any particular bait was wrong then was it?

Mad Frankie Frazer - do you know how to use a marker set-up? If so, Rudd's advice is excellent.

Did u read any of my fikin post ? Did i not say i`m not flaming ur advice?!?!?!?!

I was explaining that the reason most peeps have been talkin about bait is becuase his question in the topic was about frozen baits! U made it sound like everyone was advising him wrong talkin about baits...yet thats what his question was on!

so read in future before asking pointless retorical questions to back up an argument that isnt there!

Here fishy fishy.......