Tragic News

Newt

An elderly man suffered a massive heart attack. The family drove wildly to get him to the emergency room.

After what seemed like a very long wait, the doctor appeared, wearing his scrubs and a long face. Sadly, he said, "I'm afraid he is brain-dead, but his heart is still beating."

"Oh, Dear God," cried his wife, her hands clasped against her cheeks with shock! "We've never had a Liberal in the family before!"

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Tragic, not catastrophic.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Is that an American "liberal" or a British "Liberal" two different things don't you know?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Is that an American "liberal" or a British "Liberal" two different things don't you know?

An American liberal differs from a British liberal in as much as an American liberal seems to believe in a more laissez faire attitude to the economy than the conservatives, whereas a British liberal is sometimes referred to as 'The Great Undecided', or the disaffected Labour ministers' bolt hole in politics after the Social Democrats failed to take off.

There's a funny story (I believe reported in Hansard) about what the Social Democratic Alliance actually stood for (apart from whatever you wanted it to stand for!) in the days of Owen, Rodgers and Williams. One waggish MP said the clue is in the abbreviation... SO(cial) DEM(ocratic) ALL(iance).

it always amused me that back in the late 19th and eearly 20th Century at the birth of the British Liberal Party, it was a conglomeration of many different minority interest groups. many of these had ideals which openly conflicted with each other - for a very good example, Licenced Victuallers and the Temperance Society.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

A Western Australian political broadcast was on the radio many years ago. The main parties were, in those days, the labour party, liberal party and the country party.

One bloke was about to give a speech and said " I'm a country member" to which, an opposition wag retorted, " yes, I remember!"....

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.