Correct use of a spod ?

craynerd

Hi guys, i was watching Underwater Carping 1 and noticed he was using a spod. I have seen them in the tackle shops and understand they are used to release freebies...but when would u use one, and how often ?

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

........when you are now worried about scaring the carp away!

It really depends on the water mate, to be honest!

On some waters, the carp treat the sound of a spod hitting the water as a dinner bell! On others, they are carp scarers! Get to know what others are doing on the water you are going to fish.

They are brilliant for delivering a large bed of bait, so I would advise getting one and setting up a seperate spod rod specifically for that purpose, unless you are not expecting to cast very far, in which case, simply adapt one of your standard carp rods. Best to be prepared and armed for the need to use one.

I only use mine to bait up with when i go down with the marker rod a few days befor hand and you need another good strong rod, or you can use your 3lb TC one , plus another good strong clean casting reel, with either braid or strong mono,

But otherwise i dont use it, as i just like to ball my bait in, or catapult it out, or even use my throwing stick, far less disterbance and dont need to take extra kit to be broken :)

Just my opinion