2005 WCC

dazler

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to wonder about the feelings of some of the teams though. Only 70 of the 103 who started have put a fish on the bank and of the 70, over a dozen are still sitting with a single fish while the leaders have over 60 and the top 10 teams all have a dozen or more.

What the leaders are doing differently would be interesting to find out though. That area is known for fish moving in large shoals and a team that gets the shoal AND can hold it in their swim for a while will do well. Tim Paisley &

Steve Briggs have over 60 fish while the nearest competition have only 23.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

You have to wonder about the feelings of some of the teams though. Only 70 of the 103 who started have put a fish on the bank and of the 70, over a dozen are still sitting with a single fish while the leaders have over 60 and the top 10 teams all have a dozen or more.

What the leaders are doing differently would be interesting to find out though. That area is known for fish moving in large shoals and a team that gets the shoal AND can hold it in their swim for a while will do well. Tim Paisley &

Thats match fishing for you Newt.

Matches can be very peggy.

I noticed the pairs in 1st and 2nd are pegged right next to each other 80 and 79.

Carp shoaling to spawn?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Dont forget lads you have to convince the fish to feed on what you are offering as well. You can have a swim full of fish yet blank as we all know. I to cant wait to find out Tim& Steves tactics but what ever they are doing it sure is working :D:D

Newt how come you never entered

Looks like the 20lb average size is still about right.

dazler - I never was good enough to compete at this level but these days, a multi-day, round-the-clock event would be way too much work to be any fun.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Weather conditions today should have suited the UK teams pretty well. A bit cooler than yesterday cooler than is predicted for tomorrow.

Cloudy

Max Temperature Today

74 °F / 23 °C

Min Temperature (expected)

52 °F / 11 °C

Nice report Here from a person who is there but not fishing.

[ 09. June 2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

RUDD:

RUDD:

Thats match fishing for you Newt.

Matches can be very peggy.

I noticed the pairs in 1st and 2nd are pegged right next to each other 80 and 79.

Carp shoaling to spawn?

That's going on right now here. I fished a local lake today(for other species), and noticed that certain bays were loaded with carp, while other areas were empty. You indeed need to be able to convince the fish to take a bait..but if literaly thousands are in your area shoaling(as I suspect is the case), then numbers alone work in your favor. I suspect that most of the teams involved would do very well if they were fortunate to draw a peg in a spawn staging area!

I'll use peg 10 as an example..it's occupied by none other than Terry Fishlock & Tony Davies-Patrick, who love em or hate em, I think all would agree are excellent anglers..yet, they have only a single fish between them. This tells me that location in this tournament was

of paramount importance!

Note, this is NOT to impunge the guys leading it...as has been said, you still need to put the fish on the bank..but it's sure easier if the fish are there!

[ 09. June 2005, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]

Tough competition.

Even now, evening of day 4, there are teams with no fish and a total of over 60 teams with fewer than 5 fish. A number of names in the 'under 5' group that I recognize as being good carpers too.

The hot pegs for the most part are concentrated over a 4km length on the St. Lawrence side of Ogden island.

Some notes from a participant who had to leave early due to his partner having a family medical emergency. From a thread in the CAG forum

quote:

... alot of teams had unfishable pegs and like 10 had pegs that was covered in poison ivy ... also there is a few teams that already left the event....some teams by the dam had 40+ mph winds and there bivvies couldnt even stay up and others had swims that took more the 12oz to hold bottom...the dam was wide open and that caused some problems for a few teams...26 teams or so was on a island and it was hard for them to get anything for them(food and bait) ...

[ 10. June 2005, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Mark Quinney:

I will be there myself next Tuesday for a weeks carping, I will let you all know how I got on when I get back !!

Mark - if you don't mind saying, are you going with a guide service or is this a DIY trip? US or Canadian side of the river?