FREE uk proxy server anyone?

Riley

*Whispering cos I think this is probably a slightly dodgy area?*

I want to be able to see i player and skyplayer and of course the clever s@%s know I am in Greece so it blocks it... I though ok go through proxy server... but I cant find a free one from the UK. Also using one I found looks like I have to use CGI proxy (whatever that is!) any ideas anyone?

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

I am in France and tried this myself! The B*&%$£^S can even tell if you use a proxy as well it seems? At least ALL the ones I tried reported them as being NOT in the UK although most reckoned they are. Seems they are actually in Germany etc BUT report as being in the UK??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I am in France and tried this myself! The B*&%$£^S can even tell if you use a proxy as well it seems? At least ALL the ones I tried reported them as being NOT in the UK although most reckoned they are. Seems they are actually in Germany etc BUT report as being in the UK??

Guess I'm not surprised, but I do object to the proxy servers I have found who claim to be in the Uk charging for it, especially if at the end of the day it wont work! I am assuming that the bandwidth that iplayer/skyplayer etc will take up if everyone is using it through a proxy is an issue?

Riley

Thing is with a lot (95%) of free proxy servers, they don't usually allow javascript or flash to be used, even though you have them enabled on your browser.

yes Ive noticed that, they say you have to use CGI (whatever that is!) proxy ,for which they charge!

Riley

Mm methinks for PROXY read instead POXY??

But if you DO find one?? Let me know would you please??

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Mm methinks for PROXY read instead POXY??

But if you DO find one?? Let me know would you please??

yes poxy they are!

I posted the mesage on another forum and a kind soul came up with these;

moneysaving expert link

TV forum link

OK what we are up against is the TV companies ; sky beeb etc, dont have alicence to broadcast these programmes outside the Uk cos of Royalties. Those greedy actors want more money if more peple see them! They have got clever at stoppin us getting in the back door. What i perceive from this is that even paying shed loads of money doesnt guarantee you getting to see anything!

Riley

CGI is Common Gateway Interface and usually refers to the interace between the server and the web server. However, in this case it refrers to a free program you can download to set up a proxy.

Neither this nor the free proxies will help you though. The free proxis will not allow you suifficient bandwidth to use stuff like iPlayer even if the scripting required to use the service did not reveal your true IP location

Why should you watch the BBC stuff? You don't pay for it. As a UK BBC licence payer I don't want to subside you. You move away from the UK, you have to accept the consequences.

MC

Actually before you start getting shirty I want to download some episodes of the dog whisperer on Sky for which they charge per episode.... but I cant even do that! I have no interest in watching UK TV per se. I live in Greece and watch Greek TV for which I pay my licence like everyone else, occasionally there is somethinmg that interests me; for which as above I am happy to pay... if I could only get that far .Interesting attitude though.,..... you better tell all those brits here, living their dream,who are illegally watching Sky and the Beeb.

Riley

Well if they're doing it, get one of them to record it for you :)

It's perfectly possible to download TV content from a number or torrent sites, that might be a way forward for you.......

Oh and ModelCitizen, you're not a BBC licence payer, there's no such thing as a BBC licence :)