Rigs

Norfolkdan

Hi.

I've been carping for around a year now and have managed to catch fish to 16lb. A lot of these I catch off the top, and don't seem to have as much luck on the bottom.

I catch, but my mate is always outfishing me. I use a 1.5oz in-line lead (fished free running, so the carp never really hooks itself) and I normally have a 3 or 4 inch rig of 12lb mono (or 15lb braid) to a size 8 or 6 hook.

Is there anything worth changing there, and I think I'd be happier using a semi fixed lead, but have no idea what I need for it...so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan :)

Dan

hi norfolkdan

ive been carp fishing for a year and a half and im 15 years old and i have had quit alot of fish of the top to about 18 lbs and carp on the bottom to 23 lbs.

the advice im ging to give you is use a standard carp rig but you have to put your line through some rig tubeing onto a rubber witch links onto a lead clip witch links on the swivel attached to your rig.(you can get this equipment from a local tackle shop) your rig also should be about 7 to 8 inches long. also the weight(2 ounce) goes on the lead clips and thats a simple but good effective rig.

also about the bait i think a very good bait to use is maize or halibet pellets over a pva bag of pellets.

j.green

do you have a local tackle shop dan? this is where a decent tackle shop comes into it's own, they can show you all the different bits and tell you how they work

Dan

my set up is simple.

I put a tail rubber on to my tubing.

I thread up the line (with a pole pole fishing elastication wire, used by pole anglers to thread elastic through top kits of pole) 12 to 18 inches of ESP weighted anti tangle tubing.

I use this as opposed to normal tubing as I know it sinks hard to the bottom.

I feel normal tubing can get air in it and rise off the bottom.

Above this you could put a flying backlead.

Then I put on a nash safty clip.

Your lead clips onto this and is held in place by the tail rubber making the rig semi fixed and fairly safe (no rig, even a freeline is 100% safe).

If the lead gets snagged it easily ejects due to desigh of the clip.

It can also be cut down for quicker ejection if snag fishing.

A swivel, limpet (see my bad luck thread) or quick link that fits clip fairly tight is then tied onto the main line.

Hooklength goes on other end of swivel, limpet etc.

If using inlines, same procedure apart from safty clip.

The tubing does more then prevent tangles.

It also (when using weighted tube) sits on the bottom.

Camos line.

Protects line from abrasion.

And very importantly it protects a fighting fish from cutting itself, catching fins or tangling itself with the mainline.

Make sure tubing is longer than hooklength to prevent tangles.

The nash safty clips also allow a bit of line to be threaded through one side, then through swivel (mainline end) inside of clip and out of the other side and then tied off.

If you get a fish that snags the lead and for some reason the lead does not eject straight away this stops the swivel, limpet or quick changer popping out of the safty clip which would mean you are playing a fish via the snag / lead which at this point may not eject from the clip as a fish now has a running line.

The pressure from the fish and your rod should make the lead eject if using this option.

I hope above makes sense as it took me a while to figure while reading the instructions.

Cant comment on other makes as I dont have any to look at but I am sure most now have this sort of feature.

The only down side to safty clips is that you can lose alot of leads : snags, savage takes, working loose during the playing stages, the tail rubber getting loose over time or forgetting to put tail rubber over the clip before casting tend to loose you a few leads but fish welfare comes first and whats a 50 pence lead compared to an agonising death of a snagged fish?

I personaly feel safty clip rigs are safer than inlines due to the fact that the lead can be ejected if caught in some form of snag.

Some may not agree but if my line breaks I know I have done enough that I can to TRY to protect the fish.

[ 09. August 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Common 40:

to add my bit, I would certainly increase the lead weight to 2.5oz minimum

likewise no point trying to use a system that is meant to prick the fish if it can lift the lead without the hook setting, try testing using your finger you will find you will be able to pick up a light lead with out the hook causing you pain.