Professional (Scottish) Genealogists

Paul_D

Do they have access to information that the general public do not e.g. The 1911/1922 Scottish Census' etc? I ask because I've come up against a complete brickwall in trying to find my grandfathers birth details and I was wondering if it's time to pay for someone in the know to have a look for me.

Paul

Do they have access to information that the general public do not e.g. The 1911/1922 Scottish Census' etc? I ask because I've come up against a complete brickwall in trying to find my grandfathers birth details and I was wondering if it's time to pay for someone in the know to have a look for me.

Was he in the forces during the Great war, Sometimes the regimental archives are a help!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Hi Paul, You could maybe give this guy an email , he works on the Corran Ferry, we use it all the time, and he's a good lad...

http://www.gaelconnexions.co.uk/

Failing that, I think you might have to pay....when I was doing my family tree stuff, I got details of the 1861 census free, but think the one you want will have to be paid for...as far as I remember, they remain out of the public domain for 100 years..:(

Have a look here tho'....

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Let us know how you get on mate., and if i can help further, dont hestitate to ask....:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I found this:-

Unfortunately, Scottish legislation is different to that covering the census releases down south and in Ireland, meaning that 1911 Scotland will not be released until 2012

from here

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I might well contact your fellow Norrie if he comes recommended.

As I say, I've come up against a brickwall. Basically, my Grandfather apparently was a bit of a Toerag and nobody would ever speak to me about him. He served a prison sentence in Leicester for whatever reason and it seems whoever he 'upset' took their revenge out on him. He is recorded as having died of head injuries in 1945. Sadly, most of my immediate family are now dead so I'll probably not find out what happened- including my father. I was always told though that he was Scottish.

I have copies of his death and marriage certificates so I know he was born in 1911 - hence too young for WW1 but his fathers occupation is given as an Army pensioner on my grandfathers marriage cert. I've tried the WW1 pensions and medals records and there are possibles but do not tally with his middle initial. His serving in the Army might well be the reason why I can't find him in the 1901 census.

I've tried the Scotlands People thing and also forums like TalkingScot - very helpful but they just couldn't nail him for definite.

It's intriguing but very frustrating this researching your family history lark.....

Edited by Paul_D

Paul

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I might well contact your fellow Norrie if he comes recommended.

As I say, I've come up against a brickwall. Basically, my Grandfather apparently was a bit of a Toerag and nobody would ever speak to me about him. He served a prison sentence in Leicester for whatever reason and it seems whoever he 'upset' took their revenge out on him. He is recorded as having died of head injuries in 1945. Sadly, most of my immediate family are now dead so I'll probably not find out what happened- including my father. I was always told though that he was Scottish.

I have copies of his death and marriage certificates so I know he was born in 1911 - hence too young for WW1 but his fathers occupation is given as an Army pensioner on my grandfathers marriage cert. I've tried the WW1 pensions and medals records and there are possibles but do not tally with his middle initial. His serving in the Army might well be the reason why I can't find him in the 1901 census.

I've tried the Scotlands People thing and also forums like TalkingScot - very helpful but they just couldn't nail him for definite.

It's intriguing but very frustrating this researching your family history lark.....

Do you know his DOB an Place of Birth

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

No, that's what I'd like to find out. As I say, I believe he was Scottish but married and died in England. It's very strange that I cannot find any sign of him.

My grandfather was called Hugh Hay Dale. On Hugh's marriage certificate his father is listed as a witness and is called James M Dale. This is all that I have to go on and I can find no trace of either.

On Scotlandspeople you get the option of doing a search using 'soundex' i.e. similar sounding names. This threw up a couple of Hugh Hay Dall's - one born in 1910 and one in 1911. I sent of for both birth certificates and neither gave James M as the father. Similarly, there was a Hugh Dale born in Oldham, England in 1911 but again i wasn't him.......as I say, it's frustrating lol.

Paul

No, that's what I'd like to find out. As I say, I believe he was Scottish but married and died in England. It's very strange that I cannot find any sign of him.

My grandfather was called Hugh Hay Dale. On Hugh's marriage certificate his father is listed as a witness and is called James M Dale. This is all that I have to go on and I can find no trace of either.

On Scotlandspeople you get the option of doing a search using 'soundex' i.e. similar sounding names. This threw up a couple of Hugh Hay Dall's - one born in 1910 and one in 1911. I sent of for both birth certificates and neither gave James M as the father. Similarly, there was a Hugh Dale born in Oldham, England in 1911 but again i wasn't him.......as I say, it's frustrating lol.

The feather plucker/daft plucker on the IOW is very good at this, he once offered help on this forum and i took up the offer.

He got me a HUGE amount of info.

Thanks Mate.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

:D;) Cheers Fred.

Paul