Reel lubrication.

Ducktape Corkfeet

My reel is starting to squeak a little, and I was wondering what type of oil to lubricate it with?

What make of reel, what bearings/materials in it? If it is composite its probably worn, if its brass it may need a touch of WD40, if it's steel it could be rusting and will need a good soak in WD40, and a full cleaning. Also check for wear on the bearing/spigot.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

My reel is starting to squeak a little, and I was wondering what type of oil to lubricate it with?

For straight 'pin type reels I use Young's 303 gun cleaning oil which I leave on for a few hours, then I wipe it off and lubricate with a couple of drops of 3 in 1.

If it has ball races then 3 in 1 is also suitable. If they are rough to turn, try cleaning with Young's 303 or WD40 and if they smooth off then 3 in 1. If they are still rough replace them, a seized bearing will lose you fish and tackle!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The tube of oil that i have which you can have for free, its a tube of oil from american reel manufacturers that make fphluger reels.

its only a very small tube but it will do the trick for you.

failing that use wd 40

The tube of oil that i have which you can have for free, its a tube of oil from american reel manufacturers that make fphluger reels.

its only a very small tube but it will do the trick for you.

failing that use wd 40

Thank you for the offer, but I do actually have loads of different oils here, just need to know a preference. I wouldn't actually ever use WD40 for anything other than cleaning, as it's not a lubricant. The reel, I'm not sure the make(no name on it), but is ball bearing, and it's aluminium bar stock. Was thinking sewing machine oil? TG Rocket Fuel Yellow? 3 in 1? Thanks

D.C, try the TG liquid grease for lubing. After all, you'd only be looking at low speed runs over here.

I agree with the WD for cleaning train of thought. I used to use it to clean parts that went into aircraft. So if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for my reals.

I hope that this helps.

Tight lines

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Once upon a time, when we had an engineering industry, I acquired some oil used for air powered tools. It was very light indeed, perfect for reels. Unfortunately I haven't been able to re supply. The ultimate lubricant would be the zinc based bearing grease used for the bearings in nuclear reactors. Unfortunately it is rather carsonogenic, Though I don't think that is why they don't change it... ever!

It isn't a high speed bearing, or one that needs anything special at the speeds and stresses you encounter fishing. Any light oil will do, but DON'T overdo it. Oil can attract grit etc. Which will speed the demise of your reel even faster. You could probably get away with rubbing the spindle with a very soft pencil (The softer the more graphite in the pencil). That would overcome the grit problem.

Cheers,

OT

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"