happy cattery in kent brilliant fishing

j green

Jim Gibbinson:

A sixth of an acre is not an angling water; it's a garden pond. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to fish in such a diminutive puddle. Hardly the "great outdoors", is it?

What would you consider the minimum dimensions for an angling water Jim? Lake and river sizes?

[ 13. September 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a section of the River Loddon that you can step across in places ? I had the pleasure of fishing that with Trefor West a couple of saturdays ago....and it was a pleasure.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

j green:

the only reason i fish this is when i go camping there i bring my little float there and stalk when i get bored

If you have fun fishing that water, that's the important part. Let others think/say whatever they please but in the end, it only has to suit you.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, small rivers and streams are a different matter to tiny ponds. Anyone who is able to stalk and catch fish consistently from such waters demonstrates a high level of angling ability.

How small is too small in relation to still waters? A sixth of an acre certainly qualifies! There's a sort of grey area around the three-quarters of an acre category - depends on a number of factors. An acre-plus is a realistic minimum, I reckon.

mad frankie frazer:

i wouldnt bother with sams or cackle hill

the best fishing has got to be (manor) and its next to the pond about 200 yards and follow signs.

There are some big Perch in Sam's which few people fish for and some stonking Rudd in the middle lake at Cackle.

I suppose if its just biggish Carp you are after then you probably would be disapointed.

P.S. Mind you I like the name Happy Cattery; if the fishings crap you can always go and look at the pussies,(OOH ERR MISSUS etc.).

[ 15. September 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks Jim. I have noticed from pictures and descriptions on here over the years that UK anglers get nice catches from places I'd never even have though to try for fish. Blind spot of mine I suppose but I probably don't even have any tackle that would suit.

Anyway, I was just curious what you considered the minimums. I pretty much don't fish a lake below 30-40 acres unless there is a social event of some sort and rarely any under 100 acres. Having said that, I can only fish small pieces of the larger lakes at any given time and add that to the fact that maybe 80% of the water will never be very productive and I'm basically fishing small lakes that just happen to be inside of larger ones.

[ 15. September 2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]