happy cattery in kent brilliant fishing

j green

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares how big a place is, the most important thing is your fishing

I wonder how many people here have tried a new bait or a piece of tackle in a fish tank/pond with a couple of roach in it to see how they react.

This little pond sounds perfect for a few little experiments and i bet it would get a few kids addicted to fishing.

Lets stop this "my ponds bigger than your pond" and acting like out crap don't stink malarky and get on with helping each-other

I'v never known so many people with the same intrest to have so much friction between them.

Shut up and get ya rod's out :)

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

It is very much a matter of thresholds. Problem is, tiny, overstocked water and you are dealing with individual value judgements.

How small is 'too small'?

How much stock is needed to be 'overstocked'?

I suggest that almost none of us routinely fish places we consider too small or too overstocked to be fun. However, my criteria may be very different from yours and I don't think a 3rd party could say either of us was wrong.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Overstocked - I think a reasonable definition would be somewhere that is stocked beyond the level whereby the fish can be sustained by natural food. When we get to the stage whereby the stock are unable to survive healthily without supplementary feeding (which may take the form of bait or purpose-feeding), we are embarking on animal husbandry, not sport. It's artificial, and cannot rightly be classed as angling.

Too small - we've dealt with this earlier in this thread.

Jim Gibbinson:

Overstocked - I think a reasonable definition would be somewhere that is stocked beyond the level whereby the fish can be sustained by natural food.

Isn't that *most* commercial fisheries, then?

Would it be idle to speculate on the effect on angling as a whole (including the tackle trade) if we had no commerical fisheries (much as I prefer natural waters)? I keep reading how the river anglers are pleased that so many use the commercials, thus leaving more space on the banks for themselves...