'Clarrisa', not exactly 'KIR'!

Guest Gaffer

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi Elton,

Isn't there a guy over here that does a similar thing? Can't for the life of me remember his name but I know he carves the replicas out of wood! Bloody excellent they are too smile.gif I know he's been in all the top carp mags time and time again..... and I'm pretty sure he has a website?

I'm just off to search me googles.... brb

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 18 December 2001).]

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi Elton,

Ok found it....

The guy's name is Brian Mills website is at

http://www.fishcarvings.co.uk

"Brian says:

catch one,

photograph it,

weigh it,

return the fish alive.

From the weight and photo I can carve a replica."

I'm sure you've all seen his work in the mags... not sure how much he charges but his work is truly superb.....

Simon

Guest Simon Newbould

Sorry guys, it's me again!

Just been looking at Brian Mills' site and it turns out that he has actually done a carving of "Clarissa" ( I think that's how I remember him, I'm pretty sure that the carving was given away to the winner of a competion in one of the mags)

So.... this thread has now gone full circle smile.gif

Simon

Originally posted by Simon Newbould:

Hi Elton,

Ok found it....

The guy's name is Brian Mills website is at

http://www.fishcarvings.co.uk

"Brian says:

catch one,

photograph it,

weigh it,

return the fish alive.

From the weight and photo I can carve a replica."

I'm sure you've all seen his work in the mags... not sure how much he charges but his work is truly superb.....

Simon

If you check back through the articles, you'll see that Brian Mills was one of our 'Carp Forum' Nice bloke smile.gif

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Originally posted by Elton:

Gaffer,

When you visit country pubs, you often see stuff fish on display. That was the way back then - 'trophy fish' were just that.

When I was an ankle-biter way back in nineteenmumblemumble, my parents used to take me to Hornsea Mere on the NE coast. A trip on a rowing boat was almost compulsory (though I don't know why they always tied bricks around my neck and dared me to swim back to the shore....), but I remember spending hours just looking at a huge pike in a glass case in the cafe. I think it was that more than anything else that sparked my interest in fishing.

I'm sure it's still there now.

In those days however, it was common to take coarse fish home for the pot (Mr Crabtree almost always did that) and putting fish in cases was acceptable, but nowadays such behaviour is considered dispicable. We don't eat coarse fish anymore, and the last person recorded as killing 2 fish to put in a case (a record brace of roach that turned out to be hybrids) was condemned by most of the fishing fraternity.

Times change. What was once acceptable isn't anymore, but why should we try to condemn someone for doing something that was perfectly acceptable at the time?

Remember the past, live for today, think about tomorrow smile.gif

------------------

John S

john@go-fishing.co.uk

ANMC Wossname - Get the best out of fishing, join today.

I've "borrowed" a pic from the site listed above. This is one of their fiberglass ones. No fish parts at all. The fish is a striped bass which can cheerfully live in fresh water or the sea. I posted it as I understand they are now being found in the sea near you folks and if they get closer, you can look forward to them moving up into the rivers and, come a flood, into lakes. They do fine there BTW if the water is deep enough.

With them able to do this from a photo, no reason to ever have another fish "stuffed" to hang on the wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1008717610_striper1.jpg

Guest Steve Burke

Brian Mills' carving of Clarissa was the prize in the Sony Carp Challenge Match which was won by Tim Hodges. It's now on display in the tackle shop at Linford which Tim manages.

I've got a couple of Brian's carvings, which are absolutely superb. He's also a very knowledgeable angler, especially on the habits of fish.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Brian Mills' carving of Clarissa was the prize in the Sony Carp Challenge Match which was won by Tim Hodges. It's now on display in the tackle shop at Linford which Tim manages.

I've got a couple of Brian's carvings, which are absolutely superb. He's also a very knowledgeable angler, especially on the habits of fish.

Steve,

Next time we have a fish-in at Wingham, and assuming it's well attended, what do you reckon the chances are of getting Brian there with some examples of his work? I work in the gift industry and know from experience that the true beauty of something like that has to be seen to be appreciated.

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest chesters1

the fiberglass fish wasn`t up to much but the fiberglass stick behind it was amazing, maybe DW put Clarissa in the zoo to stop other people catching it ,what happened to her when she died was she flushed down the loo ?