'Benson' out again!

mpbdsnu

Just got back from the Bluebell Complex - did Monday night and most of Tuesday daytime.

I was informed that Benson was banked on the previous Friday and weighed 58 1/2 lbs.

I was further told a little history of this magnificent fish! Having previous believed that he was illegally stocked from Holland, I was told this could not be further from the truth!

I was told that he was acquired, along with two other carp - now called 'Lady' & 'Princess' - from a big manor house/come country estate type place. They were living in the Estates ornamental pond!

I understand he was then stocked into Kingfisher Lake on the Bluebell Complex at 22lb. The bloke I spoke to, who works there on the grounds and bailiffs the place called Dave, said he has photographs of him right from when he first went in up to now. Dave has been fishing/working at the place for 8 years.

He swears that Benson is ENGLISH - or as english as carp in this country can get - therefore, he only needs to put on a few more pounds and he becomes the new British record carp! Doubly important because he is a Common carp!

I know all the arguments that have gone on before about this fish, and I don't wish to stir things up here, but if what Dave says is true, and I have no reason to doubt him, then this carp is history in the making!

[ 19 February 2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

Hi Jim,

I was considering going there for a few days in a couple of month`s, but if what your saying is true(and I have no reason to disbelieve you )then I may have to reconsider the venue.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Jim, you are a very knowledgeable person about these matters and I will happily defer to your insight.

Could you enlighten us as to the real truth behind 'Bensons' origins.

This will allow others to decide as to wether or not they may wish to fish on these waters?

Regards

Alan Roe

[ 24 February 2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Alan Roe ]

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

hi alan,

the truth is out there fella..iam just bringing it to anglers attenions..the fishery owner should tell the truth..as he changes his stories like the wind.so let anglers make up there own minds and ask him face to face..watch his eyes.its a very sad thing for british carp fishing ..wots going on..all this foreign stuff coming in..with names endorsing it..catching them.i can go on but it really p.... me off.

uncle jim

KIR.

Thing is Jim - it was'nt the owner (Tony) who told me about Benson, it was a bloke who has fished there for 8 years, does does a bit of ground work and bailiffing for him!

As Alan has already said - please enlighten us mate, as no doubt next year, a claim will be put in for the new carp record. Surely the authorities won't go by heresy, they will go by historic facts connected with the fish, so.............???

Jim, judging by other posts, you are clearly a well respected big fish angler, but surely if you don't explain the reason why you think Benson is a big import, then you're just spreading rumours are'nt you.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.