Fish Antiseptic / ointment

craynerd

Just wondering, when i hook a fish occasionally it just nicks it. NOT a split or anything...just a prick, but a prick non the less.

Is there any ointment i could buy to apply to ensure it doesnt go infected! I know it shouldnt but just for an extra bonus. I`m sure a few quid for some ointment is worth a faster heal for the fish, after all we should take care of the fish as the number one priority!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Interesting topic Mr Craynerd. I don't use the stuff, but my mates do.

To me it just seems pointless putting a couple of drops of antiseptic onto a wet fish, that will be massively diluted when you then return the fish to the water. Is it proven or even likely to do any good? or is it just a gimmick??

I think fishing with "safe" rigs & handling the fish with care is far more important.

Just my opinion though & would be interested to hear what others think.

The best ointment to use is Orabase, available from most chemists it is for treating human ulcers. It is an excellent antiseptic for use on fish as it is much more waterproof than Klin-ik etc. It really is good stuff and cheaper than those available from tackle manufacturers

Guest Ferret1959

Get some from the vets.

Blue/green spray, can't think the name of it but it is expensive.

Use on farm animals and can be used in wet conditions. :)

clinik or orabase would be suitable for any sort of "nick" the clinik is also good for putting onto any wound if say for instance there was spawning sores etc.. always carry two bottle with me just in case i run out :D

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

Ferret1959:

Get some from the vets.

Blue/green spray, can't think the name of it but it is expensive.

Use on farm animals and can be used in wet conditions.  :)  

Definately not.Malachite Green and Blue are both used by adding to the water that a fish is in in an aquarium or fishfarming scenario.It is used in dillutiopns of parts per million.When on my course we were advised to always use gloves when handling it.Neat it is very corrosive (alkali?)

Several angling authers have sugested putting it directly on to the damaged area!

As Rabster and Twochay mention not much point in using water soluble antiseptics.I personally prefer to leave well alone and try to avoid damage in the first place.Sorry that sounded a bit holier than thou! Im sure no proper angler causes damage intentionaly.I fear that the "carp antiseptic" sellers are just preying on carp anglers good intentions.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hummmm , i can`t see how it does no good as just at the instance you spray or dab it on it will take some effect even if the excess is washed off.

For what its worth i`d be reclined to say that its pointless using it, surely for any price its worth looking after the fish!!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

i would be reluctant to use the human designed ones just yet without more research!

I`ll let you know how i get on

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

I find most of the comments against using the stuff, is more inclunded to the way i think about it, (as i dont catch much anyways :P ) i dont see the point in using the stuff, i do carry some orbase around with me, as it is nicely waterproofed and it does seam to work, (from catching the same fish twice in one week, the wound ws nearly healed lol) but i only use it if i find the fish is either bleeding on its own accord, or is damaged in anyway, before me, although other than that i just tend to leave well alone, and just make sure i do a quick unhooking piccy taken (if need be) and put it back, the less time its out the water the less damage can be done,

I mean waht do you think they guys did when unhooking mats werent even in use?