Hand lining!

bluezulu

Originally posted by Leon Roskilly:-

"When I lived in Australia, back in the '60s, most (sea)fishing was done with a handline.

Even now, when chubbing after dark, when it's too dark to see the rod tip properly, I lay the rod next to me and feel for bites by holding the line.

Holding the line directly in your fingers, you get an awful lot of information coming from the hook end.

You can feel the minnows nibbling at your bait, or the approach of a crayfish, the moment a chub lifts the bait, and the sudden jerk as it takes.

There seems to be a faster reaction time when you feel a bite, as opposed to seeing a bite.

I think that detecting a bite by sight means there is a slight delay as your mind pauses to see if it's just the wind or flow, a nibble or a real take. Then it's unlikely that you are instantly ready to strike.

With the line in your fingers, you know exactly what's going on, and holding the line you are already ready to strike at exactly the right moment.

Once the hook is set, you can then pick up the rod to play the fish.

Like everything, you shouldn't be too quick to knock it until you have tried it.

Tight Lines - leon"

now that IS fishing Leon!

Read that article, strange way of doing things I think, but if it works?....why not....seen as I ain't never fished a match, and never will, couldn't care less :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

toggle have a look in this weeks angling times then and you will see carp up to seven pounds landed within 45 seconds!no messing about playing these fish no,just rip em out!!!!oh and make sure you wear a pair of goggles cus if that hook comes loose it`s bye,bye eyesight!!

Yup, It's not 'Angling' & I much prefer to play the fish, but when conditions dictate one has to 'hit & hold' or lose the fish (and terminal tackle) in the weed.

I have always had problems 'knocking' other forms of 'sport' when I indulge in the sport of playing with fish!

Many moons ago I could 'tickle' out a trout in 10 secs - Angling it most certainly was not - but it was fishing and most sucessful to!

As previous have said - seems the 'match' boys will try anything to win, not my game, not really fair for me to have an opinion but I do & it won't be long before fisheries ban it.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Ah!, have just read said 'feature' and the 'system' is to use a pole & whip it back before 'handlining' the fish on the elastic to the bank - very quick it would seem.

It would not seem to be very 'sporting' and is as stated downright dangerous if the terminal gear were to fly out into your face. Quite a few fisheries have banned it and expect more to do so!

I can't think of a much worse advert for our 'sport' than innocent bystanders being impaled by flying floats and hooks!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Not for me I'm afraid. I don't match fish but as far as I'm concerned this is not angling. There's a difference between fishing for food and angling as a sport. I can understand non-anglers using hand lines for sea fishng on holiday but otherwise - no! The difference between the technique that Leon described is that you are using your sense of touch as a bite indicator - once the bite has been felt and the fish hooked, it is played and landed off the rod. What was written about in the AT article was exactly the opposite - the pole is used to ship out the terminal tackle and the bait but once the fish is hooked, the pole is shipped back and the fish hauled in by hand. The whole object is speed. As I said, I don't do match fishing and neither do I camp out in a bivvy for days on end in the hope of catching "the big one" because neither style of angling appeals to me but I respect those that do because we are all free to make our own choices. To my mind,however, this is not in the spirit of angling.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

This was covered in this mornings Fisherman's Blues on Talksport, which incidentaly, I got a mention on, regarding antis and lead.

Click here to listen to Fisherman's Blues.

It's on tomorrow and Monday from 6am till 8am.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Nothing surprises me in the world of match fishing on commercial carp lakes. The whole thing has got so artificial it bears little resemblance to angling as I know it. On these waters, the fish are a mere commodity. How else can you justify cramming large numbers of carp into keepnets?

Sadly, it is antics like these that will ultimately get all angling banned.

Incidentally, Leon, you're right about the sensitivity of your fingertips when feeling for bites. Dick Walker was the biggest proponent of touch-legering. I tried it too, and it does work. It's quite electrifying when you feel a bite develop... and it's bloody scary when a river tench bolts off and drags your finger into the butt ring!

Touch-legering is done while holding the rod, though. I can't see why you lay it on the bank, Leon.

By the way, I gave up on touch-legering because I was a smoker at the time and couldn't do both things at once (not enough hands). But I've quit now, so maybe it's time to take it up again. Must beat squinting at an isotope in darkness...

Fenboy

Firstly let me say that the hand line method of fishing for carp isnt some thing that I would like to do,simpley not my cup of tea.

What I do find worrying is that nearly all of the people who are condemning it are by their own admission not commercial carp water match anglers.Some who have posted here dont even understand what it is all about.

The whole point of match fishing is to catch the heaviest weight of fish.Speeding up the landing of the fish is just one way of achieving this.As long as it causes no damage to the fish I have no imediate problem with this.Wether it is sporting/ethical/in the spirit of angling is imatiriel in my book.The same could be quite equally (and often is) debated about multiple rod tactics/bolt rigs/buzzers and going to sleep etc)

Let the match anglers who fish these sort of waters decide if they want to see it banned in their matches or not.They then have the choice of if they attend non handlining/handling matchs or not.Much like back in the 70's when there was uproar about the swimfeeder and float only matchs were introduced.

A lot of the buzz that the match angler gets is from finding new ways of increasing their catch and therefore beating the rest.No different to the specimen hunter devising new rigs etc.

All my angling life I have seen things banned and rules made by people who either havnt got a clue what they are on about or even worse bringing about these things that wont affect them at all but will others.The matchman bitching about boillies.bivvies and bolt rigs when none of these are used at his venue annoys me just as much as the specimen hunter deciding what is correct and what is not down at the local "mudhole" where he wouldnt be seen dead!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i spend about 90% of my fishing on carp pools and fish a lot of matches around the west midlands worcestershire areas and most of my fishing is done with a pole. it was me who originally posted this thread and have never owned a bivivie. i am 45 years old and have been fishing since i was about eight years old i know that speed is what it`s all about when it comes to match fishing i`m sory budgie but i can just not agree with you on this one mate!i think i do know what i`m talking about when it comes to match fishing. like i said earlier the `antis` will love this . sorry budgie just ban it for the sake of all types of angling. i feel that strongly about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!