Hand lining!

bluezulu

Why are you concerned about the antis Blue? I wouldnt have thought that the sporting ethics side of it would interest them in the slightest.In fact as it gets the fish in quicker they mighteven be more comfortable with it?As you spend so much time on this sort of venue (I presume the handlining method is used on your waters?) can you tell us if there is any damage done to the fish as a definate result of this technique?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie me and you will never agree on this subject you know damn well that an awful lot of the carp on these venues have damaged mouths and some have sores along their sides.Anyway whats next? perhaps do away with the pole and rod just chuck in rope with a large treble attached with three different baits on it,then you stand the chance of catching 3 carp a cast, that should speed things up!!

Yes I have seen damage that I would presume is down to handling and over packed nets but not seen much mouth damage on the carp (silver fish yes).However (BTW I wasnt being funny when I asked for your opinion)due to the fact that I have only fished these sort of waters a handfull of times I must accept your opinion.

The fact that we wont agree is obvious as we as far as I am concerned are not disagreeing on any thing.I am neither condemning the method in question or condoning it merely asking if it is damaging to fish which if it is then it should be banned.Also asking that people who both have a knowledge of the method and a direct interest in its ues or not be involved in any descission making.

Look how many none users of keepnets want them banned,how many carp anglers want poles banned,how many match anglers think that bolt rigs are "unsporting" etc etc etc.Be very carefull in what you wish banned as sure as eggs is eggs there will be people out there who want some thing you do banned.

C'mon, let's get to the point here...

Using a method simply to haul fish in as quickly as possible by hand is NOT ANGLING.

If you're not using a rod and line, how can it be?

This whole issue makes a mockery of our sport. Greedy blokes ripping fish out of the water to beat the other blokes and pick up some dosh. That's brilliant for our image, isn't it?

We should be distancing ourselves from them. Because they are not anglers.

Was it Walker or Venables who said he didn't go match fishing because he likes to fish against fish, not men (I'm pretty sure it was Venables).

And that was in the day when match anglers used rod, line, reel, float and a considerable amount of guile on natural (ie not artifically over-stocked) pools.

Modern angling is a shadow of what it used to be. It's a pale imitation of what real angling is all about.

I feel sorry for the youngsters of today who are being sucked in by this. The way things are going, I would bet they are the last generation who will get the channce to do so.

If teh general public were ever to realise what really goes on in our sport... what the moronic element do routinely... you wouldn't have to worry about a minority of antis any more. It would be banned.

Just think about it before you jump on the next angling fashion bandwagon.

Fenboy

What do you think about the other strange/unorthodox carp puddle match techniques like the floating pole,method feeder,or even pellets then? Or on the ethics side the trend in using ultra long landing net handles so the fish can be netted even quicker?

Floating pole is still rod and line. So is method feeder. Pellets are just another bait. Long landing net poles are handy. None should raise an eyebrow, as techniques.

But the waters on which they are often employed - carp puddles, as you describe them, Budgie - are a problem. Overstocking a stillwater so that its inhabitants have to feed upon anglers' baits to survive is questionable when it comes to ethics. Shooting caged tigers comes to mind.

I feel the same way about early season pheasant shooting when posh-nobs come to the countryside to shoot barely-fledged birds. Particularly since there is such a glut of pheasants (in my area anyway) that many are thrown away.

If outdoor activities are to survive in this nanny state modern age I've reluctantly found myself in they must clean up their acts.

I won't list all the things that are questionable in angling, just in case the wrong people are tuned into this forum, but experienced anglers will most likely understand what I'm saying.

Finally, to those anglers who do go to carp puddles, bag up and come home feeling like heroes because they've bagged up on 50 lb of fish, I say: don't kid yourself you're a great angler, because you're not even a good one. A real angler wouldn't dream of fishing such a place.

I await the hate mail...

Fenboy