Hand lining!

bluezulu

fenboy:

... Finally, to those anglers who do go to carp puddles, bag up and come home feeling like heroes because they've bagged up on 50 lb of fish, I say: don't kid yourself you're a great angler, because you're not even a good one. A real angler wouldn't dream of fishing such a place .....

This has gotten to another of those posts that basically say, "they don't fish how/where I do so the way they fish is bad/not angling/unsporting/too easy/whatever". And a little of the 'ware the antis' thrown in for good measure in what strikes me as about the same as mothers threatening children with the 'boogy man'.

Item: the anti-angling group (P-E-T-x-A and their ilk) don't/won't like you no matter how you fish.

Item: if someone gets pleasure from catching fish in a legal fashion but a fashion that you wouldn't enjoy, so what? I don't personally like to walk along a grassy area and whack at a little white ball but I certainly don't mind if you enjoy it.

Fenbly - this isn't a slam at you in particular but more how this thread has evolved. But the phrase you used, 'A real angler wouldn't dream of fishing such a place', did finally get my attention. I consider myself a 'real angler' (at least I think I am - certainly do enough of it) and I don't think I'd feel any less real if I did fish puddles on occasion. I don't and don't do any of the match style sessions we have here either but only because it isn't what I enjoy. From what you write, you obviously don't fish that style or those waters because it isn't what you enjoy. Fine and good on us but I have a problem with bad on everyone who does.

I have to go with the sentiments Budgie posted on this one. Live and let live and if the tactics/techniques are legal, let folks who like them use them without making them seem like lesser creatures than you because of how & where they fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is wisdom in what both Newt & Fenboy have written in their latest postings.

Many years ago I remember watching a news item where American duck hunters had it made easy for them. Something like a kids slide had been made, narrow sort of version it was. Ducks were specially bred. When these ducks were big enough for the table they were forced up the slide, only it was a ramp. As they jumped/fell off the top end an heroic duck shooter would blast the living daylights out of them! These jubilant heros would then carry their pathetic trophies home for the table. Not entirely unlike the scenario that Fenboy paints re carp puddles.

Nigtwing, living and letting live is fine, in principle. But, if we don't sometimes express our opinion, even contempt, we risk loosing that very something that is dear to us.

A McDonalds approach to food is one thing, but prepackaged formula fishing is another! Fishing has always been about 'naturel'. We are fast heading towards canned angling, not good, not naturel!

monkeyboy:

What exactly is the method they employ? Dont fully understand(ive done crablining lol).

How do they do it in fresh water? do they use a rod etc?

monkeyboy the method used is to hook a carp using a pole,once hooked ship the pole behind you as quickly as possible right to the tip of the pole then with the use of a ultra strong elastic pull the fish in by hand carp of 7lb should only take about 45 seconds to land!

Peter Waller:

... A McDonalds approach to food is one thing, but prepackaged formula fishing is another! Fishing has always been about 'natural'. We are fast heading towards canned angling, not good, not natural!

Sorry Peter but releasing the fish you catch is not 'natural'. Fun maybe. But not natural.

Natural is to knock them on the head and put them in the pan. Natural is to target the species that taste best.

What we do is recreational and IMO once you move from natural to recreational it becomes very much a matter of doing things in a manner that is fun for you without violating local laws, rules, regulations.

I do fully appreciate where several of you are coming from. Just not real sure why you give a fig how folks fish if they are avoiding the places you fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I fish "carp puddles" so am I not a real angler?

Was I a real angler when I fished the rivers for whatever came along?

Was I a real angler when I session fished for carp?

Real anglers eh.

Are these the ones that get p!ssed and fall asleep in a bivvy with their lines still in the water?

Are these the ones that cast into a lilly pad bed cause they know the Tench feed there?

No I don't agree with handlining carp but that doesn't mean that every angler fishing carp puddles is not a real angler.

I have limited time for my fishing so I choose a venue that gives me a better than average chance of catching and I do sometimes blank.

Everyone has their own idea of real angling, most people can't agree on what real angling is anymore, so why have a go at others cause they don't conform to your views. If we all thought and did the same no-one would be able to get a swim cause we'd all be on the same water doing the same thing. :)

Mark

Mark

Newt:

Just not real sure why you give a fig how folks fish if they are avoiding the places you fish.
We are a small country Newt. Fart in the top right, and feel the vibrations in the bottom left!

By that I mean that the knock on effect of someone's behaviour, questionable technique or whatever can adveresly effect what goes on elsewhere.

A well known UK writer, and one time carp record holder, when such things had any form of real meaning, by the name of Chris Yates, is a self confessed member of the Golden Scale Club. Said club was formed for a number of reasons, but primarily to protect 'the spirit of angling'. I know what these guys mean, hard to put into words though. But whatever it is it should be bottled! Many of us just don't want to see this special something threatened.

[ 31. May 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

That's it in a nutshell, Mr Waller.

To Newt and the others: I cannot turn a blind eye to the lunatic fringe and their antics because those very antics threaten what angling used to be all about.

As I said earlier in this thread, the stuff that's going on would alienate the general public, never mind the antis.

Turn a blind eye? No chance. I'll continue to highlight the stupidity that's going on... and try my best to explain why I feel it's damaging the future of angling as a whole.

Or should we play fiddle while Rome burns?

And, I repeat, fish carp puddles if you must... but don't bag up and go home glowing with pride, because all you've done is catch fish that need to eat your bait to survive.

And that, my friends, whether you like it or not, ain't angling.

Fenboy

I saw a programme on H&L last year about a guy from England setting himself the challenge of catching some massive Amazonian fish. Tryed everything, even caught a Kamon crocodile, eventually caught it with the tribesmen on 1/4 inch thinck rope, hook the size of your hand and bait like a leg of lamb!

Handlining.

Also, off topic, but just watched Croc Chronicles on National Geographic on Sky, he caught a croc handlining.