Hand lining!

bluezulu

when i was fishing in the amazon a couple of years ago, with my fancy shimano reels and 5 piece travel rods, i was comprehensively outfished everywhere i went by locals with massive hooks, spools of thick line and very strong muscles!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you get the chance you should read "Battles with Giant Fish" by Mitchell-Hedges.

This handlining has been around at least 4 years and as bluzu says, it is simply a way of QUICKLY landing a hooked fish (any fish) by pulling it straight into the waiting landing net before it realises it is hooked and starts to fight

It certainly does not cause any damage and it is very likely that it the best way to land them!

It also requires a fair degree of skill and judgement as to when it can be applied and when to "play" the fish normally.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I see this thread has got to the 'knock the others' stage now!

As my earlier posts stated I find it very hard to knock any other forms of 'angling' and OK I don't fish carp puddles or match fish, But I do visit trout ponds where the stock level is 'generous' and can be quite happy to 'bag up'.

I think 'in the wrong hands' this 'elastic handlining' is dangerous to both angler and fish - in the right hands and where permited it is just another arrow in the matchmens quiver.

Now where's my eel dabbler and trident!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

i thought the art of angling was to outwit the fish in to taking your bait. muddy puddle catching can hardly be called that.fenboy is right there is more to fishing than catching fish ,and anybody who doe's not realise what that is not a angler :confused:

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

There was a time, not so long ago, when most anglers of all persuasions had something in common - they went out with rod, reel, line, hook and attempted to catch fish from their wild environment.

Then Man started to meddle and stack the odds in his own favour. It started with stillwater trout, then spread to coarse fishing via businessmen/fishery owners who realised that by making an investment (stocking too many fish) they would get an advantageous return (customers would pay handsomely to fish there).

Everybody's happy, I admit. But it ain't angling any more.

I would rather be an angler than a customer.

Fenboy

quote:

monkeyboy the method used is to hook a carp using a pole,once hooked ship the pole behind you as quickly as possible right to the tip of the pole then with the use of a ultra strong elastic pull the fish in by hand carp of 7lb should only take about 45 seconds to land!

So what happens if the hook pulls or the line snaps and the pole float shoots back and impales their hand? Serves em right i say!

Not fishing at all. Why dont we all start using gill nets forget hooks!

What worries me is the people who condone this stuff. They really do belive it's okay. And that's the problem. Like Monkeyboy says, go out and get a gillnet... or maybe go out and get a life.

I'm sure those ingenious Japanese computer games inventors must have devised something much more appropriate. Just think: you wouldn't even have to venture out into the open air to do some damage to the fish.

Crikey, it beggars belief...

By the way, has anybody noticed that the AT coverage of handlining was a bit tongue-in-cheek? I got the impression they weren't condoning it, merely reporting it's existence.

Here's a plea:

Will those who think handlining is a legitimate step forward in angling techniques kindly form an orderly queue and get out of this sport while it still stands an outside chance of surviving a few more years?

Fenboy

I read the AT article Fenboy and I got the feeling they were very anti, the readers letters page afterwards certainly was.