Hand lining!

bluezulu

Peter Waller:

Is it still okay if I use my fishfinder?

Only whilst walking on the water it would seem! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with handlining and have no problem with fixed spoolreels and clutches on reels to stop line breakages.

We could of course go right back to the beginning and use a short handline with a hook and the strongest bit of twine and dangle our baits in the edge and pull out the fish by hand......crikey, we haven't come all that far after all.

Fenboy, you stick to what you believe in and I will stick to mine, but DON'T tell me to get out of angling just because you don't like the way some people land their fish.........as a matter of fact I have handlined an 18lb carp into the net on the pole.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Myself,Fenboy,Peter Waller to name but a few are very set in our ways.We have all gone on about the (what to us any way) is unaceptable change in modern day angling.We have all moaned many times about our own personal dislikes.I personaly have had a right set to recently with Den ref the modern day attitude towards carp fishing (a little bit at cross purposes really I suppose but a disagreement none the less) But one thing that came from it was I realised that if any one should be set in his ways then it should be the man "Poledark" him self!Far from it! Den apears to have moved with the times and accepted the changes in our sport (as indeed his last post shows).I, as I hope this thread has shown now try to be a little bit more tolerant of change.By doing this I live in hope that people will be more tolerant of my preferences.I will personaly always feel the same as Fenboy says re over stocked waters,artificial fishing conditions "un traditional" fishing methods etc etc BUT as long as the fish,the enviroment or others enjoyment of their "own" fishing is not harmed I will not condemn others who do want this sort of thing.I just hope that as I said they will be tolerant of us who wish to keep more "traditional" angling.There is surely room for both?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If anglers got on with their own fishing instead of knocking everyone elses style of fishing angling would be a better sport for all.

The carp anglers knock most other anglers calling them noddies, the match anglers knock the carp boys, sitting in a bivvy watching telly while the equipment fishes for them etc.

Game anglers cannot understand coarse fishing :)

If it does no harm to the fish or effect you directly what has it got to do with you what anyone else does.

Every angling disciplin has anglers that are after an edge, whether it is a bait, a swim or a method unfortunately hand lining is just this. It is not illegal, it does no more harm to the fish than normal playing apparently so if you are so offended by it don't do it.

Mark

Mark

BUDGIE:

Myself,Fenboy,Peter Waller to name but a few are very set in our ways. ....

Would Ossified be the term you were looking for Budgie? :D

But evidently you don't share fenboy's belief that handlining (and I'm still not real clear just what it is) is a major threat to UK angling's future.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,I doubt very much wether I will ever try it.It also isnt how I would enjoy landing fish.Still remains to be seen if its harmfull to the fish.BUT all of it is realy irelavant to me as I dont want to fish the type of water that this is used on any way.Regards the antis does anyone realy believe they care if the fish is landed on a rod,a pole or length of anchor rope?surely it is the sticking of a hook in them that is the issue? I dont want to see existing natural waters being overstocked but as there is a definate market for the "carp soup" type of water then let them make their own specific holes in the ground and not mess up existing waters.I could almost say that as these waters are not that far away from "put and take" trout waters Im not that worried about the stock they contain.I dont like the changes in angling any more than Fenboy but think that keeping this sort of thing away from the waters I prefer is better than just condeming it.Let them use handling/floating poles what ever in the artificial carp match waters (as they are only realy relevant there)and hopefully this will stop them turning my prefered waters into "carp puddles"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's not the antis I'm concerned about. They are a small, nuisance minority.

My concern is the general public publis. Most don't care one way or the other anout angling - they see us as harmless eccentrics who sit out in the rain... never seem to catch much... and when they do they put them back... you know the sort of thing non-anglers say.

But what if the general public was to be aware of some of the stuff that goes on in modern fishing? Don't you think their noncommital attitude might turn against us if they knew that lakes were being scraped out of the ground and stuffed full of fish so hungry that they are forced to eat our baits?

And if that wasn't enough, that some anglers have to resort to pretty desperate tactics to haul fish out of the water as quickly as possible in order to stuff them into keepnets... and all for the sake of winning money?

It all seems pretty logical and all too obvious to me. One August, when a tabloid newspaper is short of news, someone will decide to do a special investigation on cruelty in angling. Or, worst still, it will be something like Panorama on the TV. Millions will read or see it, be suitably outraged, and legislation will be introduced from government.

I don't know how long these threads remain on the sytem, but just return to this one in a few years time and you'll wish you'd taken notice.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's inescapable. Sorry.

Fenboy