Imports

OP-JB

Gaffer:

Gaffer:
If you were to take some English carp spawn and selectively hand rear the resulting fry in tanks then in heated indoor pools until it weighed 63lbs and then stocked it would it be cosidered a British record when it was caught? And if not why not? The record is for the largest of the species "fairly caught on rod and line" in this country.
True again, but then it wouldn't have been stocked into that particular water between C1 and C4. Therefore it couldn't be considered a true British fish by the general definition that I gave, surely?

(I'm not splitting hairs, honest! )

What if I were to catch it from the heated pool? Would it count then?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hitler worked in a cafe :confused: that could explain the "night of the long Knives "

p.s anyone want to buy a copy of mein kampf (is that "my coffee" )

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This is one of those threads that refuses to lie down isn't it.

I too love those 'old English' Carp & harbour a real passion to fish for wildies (anybody know where I can?) However, don't forget those old warriors are the result of European breeding expertise, foreign Carp are our heritage.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Not quite on topic here!!

If I take all the small carp from a pond where they spawn every year, as early as March sometimes(Wonderful Weymouth climate!!), and leave only the big ones to breed, will the resultant youngsters grow bigger than those bred from smaller parents?

Jim Roper

[ 15 June 2002, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Overall and in general, yes they will. Some smaller ones but if you do that sort of culling/selecting for a few generations you will wind up with fish that average larger than when you started.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Overall and in general, yes they will. Some smaller ones but if you do that sort of culling/selecting for a few generations you will wind up with fish that average larger than when you started.

Much as I had surmised, but I was told that I would be wasting my time. Still! the new ponds want stocking anyway. Cheers!!

What time is it where you are Newt??

Jim Roper

[ 15 June 2002, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

Jim Roper:

Not quite on topic here!!

If I take all the small carp from a pond where they spawn every year, as early as March sometimes(Wonderful Weymouth climate!!), and leave only the big ones to breed, will the resultant youngsters grow bigger than those bred from smaller parents?

Jim Roper