Full Moon

Clifftop

My third attempt at taking moon shots, the first two were dismal failures. this is the original and has just been treated with auto levels.

moon1original.jpg

the second is the same photo again done with auto levels and cropped.

moon1.jpg

lens was a Tamron 70 - 300 manual focus which im still getting the hang of.

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

My third attempt at taking moon shots, the first two were dismal failures. this is the original and has just been treated with auto levels.

moon1original.jpg

the second is the same photo again done with auto levels and cropped.

moon1.jpg

lens was a Tamron 70 - 300 manual focus which im still getting the hang of.

Cheers Fred

Pretty good Fred. Something I've always had dismal luck at shooting!

Good one, you have a lot more detail, especially round the perimiter.

Cheers Fred

Upside down is normal Fred, us astronomers always look at the universe upside down. Digiscoping is different because you have two sets of lenses, the spotter scope and the camera so the image get's turned upside down twice. Did you take that hand held or from a tripod? Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Upside down is normal Fred, us astronomers always look at the universe upside down. Digiscoping is different because you have two sets of lenses, the spotter scope and the camera so the image get's turned upside down twice. Did you take that hand held or from a tripod?

Tripod

Cheers Fred

Updated 7/3/09

Question for you photography type bods. When taking photos of the moon, why do most go for a full moon or crescent moon in at night? To my astronomers eyes a gibbous moon in the day time is a much more satisfying image. You can really pick out the craters, the whole thing always looks much more three dimensional to me.

Just asking.

gibbousdaytime.jpg

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

The brightness of the full moon is not too good for viewing. Much prefer having a squiz when it is about the phase as in your picture.

Cheers, Bobj.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Question for you photography type bods. When taking photos of the moon, why do most go for a full moon or crescent moon in at night? To my astronomers eyes a gibbous moon in the day time is a much more satisfying image. You can really pick out the craters, the whole thing always looks much more three dimensional to me.

Just asking.

gibbousdaytime.jpg

I do like this shot.

My own reasons are " because ive never thought of it " but will try some time in the near future.

But then again maybe its just because we like doing it in the dark and you like doing it with the light on. :rolleyes::lol:

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

Updated 7/3/09

No as a whole us astronomers like dark nights, light is pollution to us, and a night with a full moon high in the sky after midnight is not much good for observing anything. Keep your eye out for gibbous moons in the day time. They are not rare.