blooming wireless

chesters1

a box opens and 3 results briefly show then the box disapears ,bugger cable back in

i see on the second dump.txt there is no name in this line on wireless

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sorry, open a command window with cmd then type the ping command in that.

I'm wondering if you have connectivity but no DNS, in which case you will be able to access things by IP address but not by name.

Yeah, sorry, open a command window with cmd then type the ping command in that.

I'm wondering if you have connectivity but no DNS, in which case you will be able to access things by IP address but not by name.

managed to get a partial copy

looks like its connected as you say ,bugger cables in ...wait.

exactly the same ethernet in or out

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

OK, so you have connectivity but you don't have name resolution. If you now go into internet protocol properties and tick the "Use the following DNS Server addresses" box and type the default gateway IP address in for preferred DNS server, hopefully you will be up and running.

yesssss ,if i was a girl i would :D;)

but now how do i use the printer because if i connect to that in wireless networks it disconnects to the hub (hair tearing out icon) or do i connect wirelessly tthe printer to the hub not the pc?????? (my head hurts).

can i use both ethernet and wireless and go twice as fast :D or get another ethernet cable and go three times faster

Edited by chesters1

Next step is to get the printer to join the wireless network. What make/model is it?

its a lexmark z1420

i can see it as a print server in wireless networks , a computer to computer network ,unsecured

Edited by chesters1

There's a walkthrough on the Lexmark site for setting it up in infrastructure mode, but I can't get a hard link to it.

If you go to this page:

http://support.lexmark.com/perl/support/support.cgi

and enter your printer model in search by model (might have to put your location in first, useless crap site)

then click on the "How To's" tab and go for "> Windows XP/Vista Installation Walk-through for Fall 2007 and 2008 Wireless Inkjet All-In-Ones and Printers"

Should do the trick.

Edited by Steve Walker

yesssss ,i was looking for the cd as you posted ,i had set it up wrong (as you probably saw) on its first install probably because it couldnr se the old hub only the pc,perfect now thanks.

now its all fine and dandy can my network be infiltrated via my printer ,may sound a bit naive be assured when it comes to wifi i am! a lot :D

on the sheet the printer chucked out as it connected (all the 192's and 255 stuff ) it says password not set so i presume its open to abuse before one is???

can you gain entry ? its not one way ofcourse the printer "talks" to the pc as well as vice versa so perhaps a person could pretend to be a printer?

Edited by chesters1

The printer is as vulnerable as the rest of your network is, so if wireless security is not enabled, someone lurking in your garden with a laptop could join your network and print rude letters to you on your own printer! :lol:

Turning on security is simple enough, but getting everything working again afterwards can be a pain in the backside - most things will just work, some things will need some obscure setting or configuration tweaking. Sounds as if that configuration program for your printer would behave itself though and let you enter the password.