Sliding split shot on the hook.

craynerd

I was watching underwater carping 1 and saw what looked to be a very very clever technique to keep the hook facing downwards but i`m unsure how it works.

It looked like, and he even said it was a sliding shot on the hook. It was positioned just below the point, the idea being it would draw the hook to face the correct way and hook on a take. After looking at the pause tho, i still don`t understand the setup, is it simply just a shot gripped onto the hook. I can`t see it being as i wouldnt have thought a shot grippied on the hook would be able to slide, and i`m sure this is neccessary on a take so that the shot can slide down and allow a more solid hook.

Can anyone clarify this procedure or method...how the shot is fitted and does anyone use it ?

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Get yourself some tungsten rig putty and pinch off a small amount and mould it around the hook shank!

Experiment with amounts etc until you get the desired effect. Look at your rigs in the margins or a tank of water at home.

The shot is actually pinched onto a loop of nylon, but I have a feeling that it is yet another of those rigs that is dreamed up next to the kitchen sink, for the sole purpose of inclusion in a magazine article.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Not so much nylon as floss or thin braid, Peter, and don't make the mistake of thinking of it as a 'table rig', either.

I've personal experience of it being used to land some seriously nice carp. Whether it, or anything else, operates as claimed is another matter - but it certainly works, no doubt about it.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

quote:

Not so much nylon as floss or thin braid,

Yup thats the one.

Just pinch the shot on a short length of braid, or floss (i use floss as its thinner) and then just tie the shot on using a granny knot, then just tie another granny knot on the hook, and double it, so its nice and tight, then the shot just slides around on the hook,

Now i havnt had any experience of this rig, as i prefer the simple hair rig, with a shot on a combi, hooklength, but some people realy like it :)

I must admit that I went through a period of trying any number of daft rigs, inluding the removal of the lead wire from trout lines and going to all the trouble of inserting it into line-aligners or wrapping it round the shank. They all looked very nice and it kept me occupied for a couple of evenings when there was nothing on the telly, but none of them caught any more fish than my plain, shrink tube line-aligner fished by its side. That's as far as I bother to go these days. The effectiveness of any of these rigs is almost impossible to prove. If you are fishing for a run every two weeks or so, it would take you years to reach any worthwhile conclusions and if you are fishing an easy water, you would probably catch on virtually any rig. If it gives you confidence then fair enough, but I can't help thinking that the publication of some of these weird and wonderful rigs just confuses beginners and focuses their attention in all the wrong places.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

just use a treble ,the hooks always the right way round

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Interestingly, those who write about complex rigs rarely use them.

I wonder why...?

Interesting, too, that all the really successful anglers I've met use simple, uncluttered rigs.

As Peter said, playing with such rigs can be mildly amusing when there's nothing else to do - and who knows, there's just a remote possibility that an interesting idea may develop. In general, though, I'm a firm subscriber to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid!