Jobs for anglers

Peter Waller

Being self-employed sucks. Every waking hour, you're thinking, "I could be working, trying to make money."

I'd like to think that things would be different if I was rolling in it, but I don't know yet.... :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chevin:

Rev. Alston did OK didn't he!

I'm surprised this drew no comment. How many of you remember that the Rev E.E.Alston once held two British records?

Tench at 7lb and Rudd at 4lb 8oz. He also had his fair share of many other fish, like several pike over 20lb.

Chevin and I once took a priest fishing in Co Kerry. We had to smuggle him out of the village, ducked down on the rear seat lest the local nuns should see him and be scandalized.(The nuns crossed themselves every time they saw Chev and I, but that's another story)

Even when out of the village Father M wore a thick scarf to hide his collar.

Chevin, do you remember what we caught?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Elton:

Being self-employed sucks. Every waking hour, you're thinking, "I could be working, trying to make money."

I'd like to think that things would be different if I was rolling in it, but I don't know yet.... :D

thats thing about being self employed it either sucks or you think its the best thing on earth. if you'd asked me this time last year i woul dhave told you it sucked, however this year things are great, i've never been so busy. suppose i should save a bit for next year when it will inevitably slow down again.

Alston's name is up there with the greats, but I couldn't remember the derails.

At one time I lived in Bosham in Sussex. Used to be a keen bell ringer, as did the then Bishop of Chichester. Now, that was a man I could admire. He would sit in the spit & sawdust in the Anchor Bleu and down cider like it was mother's milk. Always wore a cassock and one of those quaint three cornered hats that bishops then wore. We discovered a mutual interest in angling. Fully expected him to arrive in a cassock, but no, but he still wore his hat. Seemed to know every bell tower and fishery within yards of a pub. I don't recollect that we caught anything huge, but we had a great time!

The Rev. Alston was once the Priest/Vicar whatever at the Church of Ireland in Leenane Co. Galway. His diaries are full of weather and fishing reports, very little religion recorded.

I would imagine he was "working" in Leenane when he caught his big pike on Lough Conn. Sadly even Vicars killed pike!

It would be nice to see his records on display somewhere other than kept in a cupboard.

Colin

chevin:

Rev. Alston did OK didn't he!

Thank God you wrote 'Alston' - I had to look twice because at first I read it as 'Awdry' and thought what the hell has Thomas the Tank Engine got to do with angling - so I went looking for the name. I understand now

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

. Well, I mean, only working one day a week does have certain advantages! Is it the perfect job for an angler?

One of the things we get taught in the church is tithing, ie giving a tenth. Isaak Walton, in the Complete Angler, mentions a Rev Nowel, who was dean of St Paul's Cathedral. This good man tithed his time, and spent it on............ angling!

Walton's son, Isaac (spelt differently) was a Rev, though I don't know if he was an angler. Walton assures us that the great religious poet George Herbert, loved angling, but i can't remember if he was a Rev.

I never realised that Rev Alston also held the tench record. Impressive!

john clarke

isent alston the highest market town in england? i remember a very draughty night holding a tent together in november 74.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think John, that in relation to AN, it should read 'a few', rather than 'many'! Mataphysics is something that us average joes on the bank rarely encounter in life. Well, not knowingly so. Now, as is AnglersNet, everyone will post that they do and it will just be me who is ignorant of such things, such is life. Mata/Mater as in Fatherly perhaps? I know, pick up my Chambers Have a good weekend John and may the force be with you!!