Jobs for anglers

Peter Waller

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mataphysics - Peter was on the right track with 'Mater' but that is mother rather than father.

Mataphysics is literally "Motherphysics" and was the somewhat primitive beginning of today's Metaphysics.

I think the origin had to do with the fact that for minor illnesses, a mother was likely to treat the problem rather than getting a physician to do the deed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How thick can I be? Learn't Latin at school and one of grandmothers was known as 'Mater'! Should have clicked that it was related to mothers :rolleyes::rolleyes: :confused: !

[ 27. December 2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

No, ingenious, but Jim is right - it was just a typo by me. The metaphysical poets were a group of poets, mainly 17th century, who... well, I've just realised I don't really know myself! The best I can find on the web is a comment by TS Eliot that they fused passion and reason. George Herbert's poem 'Love', though, that starts 'love bade me welcome' is a cracker, in my view, and I'm glad it's written by a fellow angler - though I stress it's got nothing to do with angling, and links with my religious beliefs, so it may or may not impress anyone else!

john clarke

This is a pretty good one-page synopsis of what and who the metaphysical poets were.

And a pretty good overview of Metaphysics.

Note: sorry Peter, couldn't resist.

Well OK, so I'm not sorry. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The Flying Tench:

For anyone who's interested one site which gives it is www.poemsandlove.com/poems/love13.aspx

The 'spiritual' link on the above proved most beneficial

Have hit your link John, and that of Newt. Interesting to say the least. Newt's is above my intellectual level in many places. But the references to spiritualism concern me as I believed this to be frowned upon by the Church. However, the poem is moving and relates to a sincere life in an understandable way. In many ways it relates to an anglers love of the great outdoors.

It is a moving piece, thanks for the link.

PS, Link Newts recommended site to Leons http://armageddononline.org/ on the 'I like this site' thread, and you could be totally screwed up within hours!

[ 27. December 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]