Clever Claw

Sportsman

I don't know how many on here fish the pole but I enjoy it. The problem is with a series of back problems and my latest injury I am not sure of my ability to fish the pole for any length of time. I have seen adverts and video for the Clever Claw pole holding device and it looks as if it might be the answer to my problem, but I have never seen one in the flesh.

Has anyone tried one and do they work as well as they seem to in the video

http://www.realideas.eu/cleverclaw.html

Looks like a good idea, I think I will probably go for one, unless someone on here can give me a good reason not to ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I read a write up on the 'Claw' (don't know which Mk. it was) a couple of years ago. I think it might have been IYCF but I can't say for certain. Anyhoo, it was tested to destruction and it rated quite highly. Unfortunately, I sold all my IYCF mags and I can't check. I'm positive it was a good thing though.

I just wonder if it's worth the money mind you. It is just a hook after all. Couldn't you fashion something similar yourself Sportsman??

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Because the pole is too long and heavy. The claw stops the pole tilting forwards. Normally you'd do as you suggest but then you must have a hand on the butt of the pole at all times. It's simply a 3rd hand to give the angler a rest, eat a sarnie, sort rigs...whatever. That's all it is.

...Andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Because the pole is too long and heavy. The claw stops the pole tilting forwards. Normally you'd do as you suggest but then you must have a hand on the butt of the pole at all times. It's simply a 3rd hand to give the angler a rest, eat a sarnie, sort rigs...whatever. That's all it is.

...Andy...

ah i see. you see ive never used a pole before.

ive seen a bloke up the canal with a shakespear seat box with 2 hooks. like you say andy. couldnt be hard to make your own out of something like coat hooks

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

The claw allows for quick strikes, rather than footering around trying to release the butt end of the pole. Coat hooks might do it however it's fashioned, it must allow for quick reactions from the angler.

...Andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

The claw allows for quick strikes, rather than footering around trying to release the butt end of the pole. Coat hooks might do it however it's fashioned, it must allow for quick reactions from the angler.

...Andy...

knocked up this wee 3d drawing to demonstrate the seatbox i seen. theres probably a ton of things you could find to attach to a chair or box. even straight things should do it so long is it dosent roll off ?

just had a look at some vids of clever claw, definetly a 'clever' idea. could it go wrong though, would a stiff breeze coming toward the bank moving the rod release the mechanism that holds it in place ?

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

That's the right idea Andy but I don't think it would be wise to have both parts so close together, as you have suggested on your picture. A pole is a fair old lump of carbon and you'd be applying a lot of stress on the butt of the pole at the fulcrum. From that point forward you have the vast majority of the pole sitting unsupported. That's a lot of weight on the fulcrum and that section of the pole I'd think.

If you look at the setup with the claw, you have the claw right at the butt of the pole and the forward rest set some distance forward, supporting the weight more evenly.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

knocked up this wee 3d drawing to demonstrate the seatbox i seen. theres probably a ton of things you could find to attach to a chair or box. even straight things should do it so long is it dosent roll off ?

just had a look at some vids of clever claw, definetly a 'clever' idea. could it go wrong though, would a stiff breeze coming toward the bank moving the rod release the mechanism that holds it in place ?

Hi Andy (to avoid confusion I will call you Andy junior)

What you have illustrated is an up and over pole support and I already use one.

The two hooks are on the legs of my box and it work quite well, but it does have limitations.

As Andy Senior says, the hooks are quite close together and if you have the pole out to 14.5 or 16m that is a lot of pole stuck out the front and leaning on that front hook. It gets worse if there is a bit of wind. A sudden gust could catch the pole and put a lot more force onto what is a thin pole wall at that point. I am happy with it out at around 8 M. but much more than that it gets a bit iffy.

It is also a bit awkward to get at in a hurry, being down beside you, and it can be fiddly getting the butt out from underneath the hook, especially if you have a good sized fish pulling the tip down :P

The advantage of the clever claw seems to be that you support the pole over your knees which is a good position, but it gets itself out of the way when you want to lift into a fish.

I will also take the strain off my bad back, which is the real reason for wanting one.

Looks like I'm talking myself into it :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I am not what you call a regular pole fisherman but I do enjoy the occassional session. As daft as it seems, I originally bought a 16M pole for bubble chasing Tench on a local mere in an effort to escape Pirhana like Rudd and surprisingly started to enjoy using it. When fishing at anything over 10 metres, I much prefer to use the clever claw as opposed to a spray bar, sitting over the pole or holding it. Once you have got used to it and set up right it is very effective and does not come apart until you release the force created by the weight of the pole. If you have back problems they are well worth having.