Fishing Eels in London

Pike71

Whilst I always support the right to take fish for the pot Pike71 I feel you are the one thats been a bit naive if you didnt expect a bit of flack for asking about such a thing.

Im actually suprised that you didnt get more!

As for making your very first post on a forum such a controversial one then youve only got yourself to blame.

Stay and Im sure you will soon understand why.I do kind of agree that a few fish taken by a rod and line angler wont be the reason that eels are (if they are? another topic of different opinions!) in decline.

I also think it would both make you look like the "childish" one and a mutual loss if you do just dissapear over this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with Budgie. I support in principle the right to take fish for the pot with the consent of the fishery owner and I have myself occasionally taken eels to eat in the past, but I would not do so now. They're in serious decline.

Me too. I used to keep every eel I caught to give to my grandma, who loved the things. I wouldn't any more, though.

Pike71, you've accidentally hit on quite a sore subject for your first post, but I agree that the replies were a bit strong. Stick around :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just out of interest why would it be bad to take eels from a still water? I haven't ever taken a fish from the water so don't kill me for saying this :-). Eels in a still water have close to 0% chance of ever breading so is it such a bad thing being as they are in an unnatrual habitat?

*Runs for cover for disagreeing with the general opinion...*

Just out of interest why would it be bad to take eels from a still water? I haven't ever taken a fish from the water so don't kill me for saying this :-). Eels in a still water have close to 0% chance of ever breading so is it such a bad thing being as they are in an unnatural habitat?

*Runs for cover for disagreeing with the general opinion...*

the problem is sustainability, I'm not going to the details as why Eels are in such decline as that's been done already, but the very fact that Eels can't procreate in freshwater is good enough reason to not eat them! Eels can and frequently do leave still waters to make their way back out to sea, of course this depends on the lake itself, and how the eels got there in the first place and at what size.

The Eels decline is well documented across the world especially so in Europe which has prompted the European governments cause to implement the EMP's (Eel Management Plans) which have now been submitted and will come into force in July.

no I wouldn't remove the right to eat any fish but with the state of the Eel population please...

Put Eels Back!

Dave Smith

www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Edited by Dave Smith

PAC RO - Birmingham Region 1 www.Brum-Pikers.co.uk

Internet Officer - National Anguilla Club www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Very Average Blog - www.PredatorAngling.co.uk

Eels are particularly adept at storing pesticides, heavy metals and PCBs in the fat in their bodies.

Wow! I'm amazed that Asda and Tesco are allowed to sell them if they present that much of a health hazard.

I've always eaten eels. If I can't catch them, I buy them. As someone said already, an angler with a rod, reel and single hook, taking a few for the pot, isn't going to threaten stocks. If the eels stocks are so fragile, why do they still allow elvers to be caught commercially and sold as a delicacy? Come to that, if they are so endangered, why allow people to buy commercially caught eels to eat? It seems like this is just another case of ignoring the real problems and having a go at any angler who eats a self caught fish.

From what I saw last year, the eels seem to be making a bit of a comeback around here, anyway.

Marco, get yourself down to the Thames around Barking Creek. No close season there and you don't even need a rod licence if you are fishing for sea fish. Use lobworms for bait. You might even catch a flounder or two.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Wow! I'm amazed that Asda and Tesco are allowed to sell them if they present that much of a health hazard.

Must admit Ive never seen them in either of the supermarkets!

When I comercially netted (late 80's) eels only "silvers" caught from salt water really held much demand but in later years "yellows" were also accepted.This may have been down to the decreasing numbers I dont know.

I dont feel that rod and line fishing (providing its done legally) will have any major affect on our eel stocks.Relatively few people regularly target eels purely to eat and those that do do so in river estuarys/tidal reachs normally.

The only eels most thinking predator anglers use for bait are ones that they have inadvertantly damaged/injured whilst catching them for sport.

But we do need to look at the bigger picture and try to lobby government etc to restrict pollution,elver fishing etc etc.

Whilst I always support the right to take fish for the pot Pike71 I feel you are the one thats been a bit naive if you didnt expect a bit of flack for asking about such a thing.

Im actually suprised that you didnt get more!

As for making your very first post on a forum such a controversial one then youve only got yourself to blame.

Stay and Im sure you will soon understand why.I do kind of agree that a few fish taken by a rod and line angler wont be the reason that eels are (if they are? another topic of different opinions!) in decline.

I also think it would both make you look like the "childish" one and a mutual loss if you do just dissapear over this.

Budgie I think your response is too strong in the context of the original post, not everyone enjoys your vast wealth of knowledge for all things angling. There’s no need to be disrespectful to those who don’t, we’ll probably not see Pike71 again

As for “blame” and being “childish” well if I’d received a response like that I’d tell you where to shove it!!!!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back