Petition to keep the close season on rivers

Peter Waller

I don't want a year round hammering of the rivers.

I just want to ensure the close season is held at the best possible time for different species in different parts of the country.

What is the rational for March 15 - June 15 other than tradition?

I don't know the history of the those dates. I'd imagine that the majority or river species will spawn within those dates but I can't be sure. As Tigger says it is hard enough avoid game fish or coarse fish in their respective close seasons, how you could avoid dace whilst fishing for chub or bream whilst fishing for roach etc would be impossible! I'm not saying the closed season is perfect but I think despite its flaws it is, in general, a good thing.

Just because people pretend to fish for other species with worm etc to get around the close season doesn't mean its OK. I have no doubt that some rarely fished stretches could cope with no close season but those that get hammered all the rest of the year would get hammered 12 month a year all the swims would be mud and the fish and other wildlife would suffer. Has anyone considered the other wildlife that breeds during the close season?

Rich

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the non-angling general public? I think they probably deserve a break from us too. Must be nice as an avid bird watcher/duck feeder/boater to get unhindered access to the banks for three months.

Geoff

I think in times past when we used to have 'proper winters' then a lot of fish were spawning during the closed season but it is not just about the fish. Basingstoke Canal is closed as it is a triple SSSI site due to the dragon flies. I know of others because of a colony of beetles or over wintering birds and fungi, the list is endless. You have to look at the whole picture.

We all have an opinion, some of us choose to keep the 'old close season' I for one think it does them good to have a rest. I don't preach to others, what you decide is your business and if you don't want to sign, fine, but I can't see why you feel you have to have a go at us that do want to keep it.

I have just left my local club, my earliest memories are from fishing some of it's lakes as a family. I was going to get more involved with the junior events this year other than running my normal barbel fish in. Why have I left ? because they put a load of barbel in a small match lake! I was gutted, but I don't agree with barbel being in still waters ( this is not an opening for a debate on still water barbel by the way) but I don't tell others what they have to do or how they should think.

I know what I want and the closed season on rivers is something I will always fight to keep. All Peter has done has bought to the attention of us that do want to keep it a way which might get our voice heard, he has not 'told' anyone they have to sign it. This is not the first time a petition like this has been signed and I very much doubt that it will be the last.

It will be interesting to see where the Angling Trust stand on this one.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Can I turn that around? Has anyone got any scientific evidence that it is a BAD thing? However out of date or flawed it is I simply can't see any reasons of why it can do anything but benefit the rivers!

I think it is highly unlikely there are any studies showing regular fishing is beneficial to rivers, but I'm sure there will be evidence that lack of fishing is beneficial...

The close season is more than just protecting the fish when they are spawning, clearly unless you want a close reason from January to October it may be better to just take it on the chin that some species spawn outside the close season. Have a look at your local commercial and see if you think all year round hammering is a good thing!

Rich

No you can't turn it around as long as you use arguments like that. "However out of date or flawed it is I simply can't see any reasons of why it can do anything but benefit the rivers" is argument from personal incredulity. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/closedseason/

Yawn, another close season topic! But SIGN IT!!

Signed - but I wasn't aware it was threatened....

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

No you can't turn it around as long as you use arguments like that. "However out of date or flawed it is I simply can't see any reasons of why it can do anything but benefit the rivers" is argument from personal incredulity.

Not an arguement just my opinion.

Feel free to correct me if you feel it is wrong or inaccurate.

As I said, in my opinion I can't think of why the close season on rivers is anything but beneficial. However if you really would like me to produce evidence that the close season is beneficial, I will try to, all I ask is you provide similar evidence of its detrimental effects on wildlife. Otherwise we will be left only with opinions.

Let me know,

Rich

Guest tigger
Not an arguement just my opinion.

Feel free to correct me if you feel it is wrong or inaccurate.

As I said, in my opinion I can't think of why the close season on rivers is anything but beneficial. However if you really would like me to produce evidence that the close season is beneficial, I will try to, all I ask is you provide similar evidence of its detrimental effects on wildlife. Otherwise we will be left only with opinions.

Let me know,

Rich

It would be benificial for the rivers if no one ever went near them "ever" or if there was no water extraction or sewage pumped into them....etc...etc the list goes on and on. I'd say those examples are far worse than ending the closed season for anglers.

Edited by tigger

Guest Brumagem Phil
How about the non-angling general public? I think they probably deserve a break from us too. Must be nice as an avid bird watcher/duck feeder/boater to get unhindered access to the banks for three months.

Interesting viewpoint, well put.

I'm in favour of the closed season.....a couple of reasons being....... On the whole fish do better without us, so giving them a break is no bad thing, and for us abstinence makes going fishing all the more pleasurable.

Interesting viewpoint, well put.

I'm in favour of the closed season.....a couple of reasons being....... On the whole fish do better without us, so giving them a break is no bad thing, and for us abstinence makes going fishing all the more pleasurable.

I agree, it's nice to see someone seeing the bigger picture.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I agree, it's nice to see someone seeing the bigger picture.

I would go as far as suggesting that it returns on canals as well.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."