Sleeping bags

RUDD

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Ever since my army cadet days I have used a British army 58 sleeping bag for camping, mountain work and fishing.

An absolute workhorse it has been.

But alas it has gone missing and I suspect the missis chucked it out as it was well passed its sell-by date and only half filled with down!!!!!!!!!!!

try getting hold of a '48 american mountain one ,luvvly and warm ,great zip just open it up and put it over you, you can be at your pod in a second.

in my "yoof" when camping out (over imbibing at pub was a regular occurence so i slept near the pub till morning) i used my 58 brit bag as a underblanket to stop the cold coming up from the ground ,compared to the '48 thats all its fit for.

still got both (although the fabrics getting very fragile) but i cant use them camping (wife says they stink ) so we use modern ones

[ 13. May 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Honestly look at getting a surplus or unissued PLCE Sleeping System, it is excellent.

The MOD spent a lot of money developing the best sleeping bag they could and it is light years ahead of the old 58 system.

I must admit the latest ultralight mountain bags will probably have a better thermal performance and they do pack to next to nothing like down, but they perhaps are not as suitable for fishing.

I have never rated the sleeping bags made by the tackle manufacturers, Big, Bulky, Heavy and Poor thermal performance for their weight.

[ 14. May 2005, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

ray carper:

nash frostbite 5 sleeping bag.

the absolute dogs wotsits

actually woke up sweating the first time i used this bag in march. and  it was minus 2 outside the bivvy.

One of the problems with a bag that's suitable for cold nights is that it's often too warm in summer. My solution is to use a lightweight sleeping bag plus a JRC Bedchair Cover. For my field test of the latter see http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/jrc-bed-cover.htm

I can then use either (the JRC cover is excellent by itself on warm nights) or both together to regulate the amount of warmth needed. I use the same system with my clothing. As the Eskimos found several layers are warmer than one.

You could of course use 2 sleeping bags in cold weather, one inside the other, rather like the all season duvets. These consist of 4.5 & 9 tog duvets. You can use both at once to get a rating of 13.5 tog, or by themselves to give 3 different combinations.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

hi yer dan

they was doing them on a special when i bought my one paid 79.99

just had a look at their website now £99

as for being too hot in the summer just take the fleece liner out. sorted

Received wychwood system and cover this morning and it looks / feels like a top piece of kit.

The plce does look good and I had I not got the wychwood system so cheap (rrp140.00 paid 30.00) I would of considered one as apposed to a 58

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 3 months later...
Elton:

Rudd,

As soon as I can find where the wife has 'tidied' mine to, I'll let you know which one it is!

Mine's the Fishrite Challenger. I love it - I rarely actually get in it, preferring to drape it over me instead.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE