swingers

Guest joey

They're an alternative to using a bobbin - you rest them on the line between the reel and the rod rings and they move up and down as the fish moves the hook. They're less prone to wind than a standard bobbin, and they tend to have adjustable weights so you can make them heavier or lighter to suit the conditions. They were fashionable for a while but they seem to have dropped in popularity in the last couple of years.

Guest Wordbender

Ask Gaffer about swingers - he knows loads about 'em - don'tcha Gaff? rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I can categorically assure everyone that swingers never work unless they're stainless steel wiv union jacks on them. That's true that is. smile.gif

Terry

i still use swingers (some say that i am the oldest swinger in town), but i find that they are even more efective if the angle is more acute. maybe i should explain a bit more.

as it seems that the present fad, is to fish with the first ring on ones rod, tight up against ones alarms, this leaves a long shallow angle, when the swinger is atached.

but if one put ones rods on so that the first eye is past ones alarms, the angle on the line when the swinger is atached is much sharper, and i find that this makes the swinger more sensitive.

Hi all, this is a copy of my reply to the same topic on the coarse forum. wink.gif

Gaffer

Moderator posted 01 December 2001 08:58 PM

----------------------------------------

Hi Joey, the term 'Swingers' is actually a Fox tradename, but the term 'Swinger' is generally used to describe an indicator that is of the arm type.

What I mean by arm type is that it's not a chain(bobbin) nor a 'springer'('springbow').

The Fox 'Swinger' is an arm type indicator that has a head that clips onto the line.

Once clipped onto the line it tensions the line over the roller (or sensor) of the bite alarm.

If a fish runs away from the rod (a run) the 'Swinger' will rise and allow line to pass through it and over the roller/sensor of the bite alarm.

If a fish runs towards the rod (a drop-back) the line would normally go slack, but because the 'Swinger' has added weight or tension to the line, the 'Swinger' will drop downwards keeping tension on the line. This tension will activete the roller/sensor on the bite alarm.

'Swingers' are great because the don't sway about in the wind and also they have a sliding weight on them to adjust the weight and tension of the line.

I hope all that makes sense.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club