What would you do.......

SteveP

To tackle this water....

It's an old lake of about 2.5 acres with a good head of wild and Common carp to about 10lbs.

There are also a very small number (less than 1/2 a dozen or so) of mirrors at about 20lb with one, maybe two at 30lb 'ish

Depth varies from a couple of feet to 12 feet at the dam end with a couple of small islands and lilly pads in the middle.

Quite a few ducks which make surface baits tricky.

The fish have seen all the usual baits and tactics - the wildies take meat, corn and boilies freely but the bigger fish are rarely seen.

Any ideas on targetting the bigger fish?

Thanks

Steve

I'd lay down a bed of carp pellets and fish a bunch of worms over the top. For some reason, in the waters I fish, worms seem to attract the larger fish - that's not saying much- my PB is only just over 19lbs!

I've also had decent results fishing breadflake.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Big worm on a size 12, in a pva bag with 4mm halibut pellets.

Or try 24mm halibut pellets, but brake them down and fish the bits, say around 14mm hair rigged on a size 8 raptor, same for free offering, but not in a pva bag, scatter them around the area your fishing.

Not tried fishing with the fake bread on the bottom yet, but it will work like a pop-up, well worth a try.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Thanks for the ideas so far chaps - I like the worm in a PVA bag of pellets idea :cool:

I'm inclined to try along the edge of the deeper water first.

It's not that I don't like catching wild carp - the scrap they put up is great fun on balanced tackle, but knowing there's a couple of monsters lurking gets the ole blood pumping :D

Cheers

Steve

Try Pre-Baiting if you are allowed! Spend a bit of time watching the water this way you will have some clue's where the larger fish may be feeding then put in a good quality bait frequently this way the fish will establish a good feeding spot. If you are going to pre-bait keep it quiet as you don't want anyone jumping in the swim you have pre-baited.

I would recommend vitalin as a good cheap pre-bait and also mix in a few of your chosen baits either boilies,worms,maggots,corn,maize etc.

But keep the feed going in regular!

Hope this works it did for me!

My best bet is work along the edges of the margin using the bloodworms pellets in a PVA bags with some broken boilies and an single boilie on an size 8 hook.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

STOP and think about this situation.

Most of the above methods will attract the wildies and commons like the plague.

The big girls must feed on something and that something will be natural baits.

They may feed on anglers baits every now and again but as I said - naturals.

All waters have carp (most very big) that have been seen but never caught.

Where I fish there have been rumours of 25-30lb carp spotted but the biggest ever to come out was 22lb. I had an 18lber out five years ago and that must have put on some weight.

More carp get hooked and lost on one bait.

They get lost because they are hooked on match style gear.

The bait is simple but the most effective carp bait known to man.

MAGGOTS.

Find your self a quite spot (or several) in the margins, a spot that looks like no one will ever fish it.

Under an overhanging tree or bush is ideal.

Prebait with dead AND live maggots, the occasional slug / snail / worm, a small amount of particles (wheat, groats, maple peas, hemp etc) and a few bllodworm pellets.

All these baits are natural, even the bloodworm pellets.

Sooner or later the big carp will find the spot and all carp love a bed of maggots.

The dead maggots will sit on the top while the lives will dig into silt or under stones etc and the carp will happily hunt them down!!!!!!!

Good luck

[ 02. August 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD, you hit the nail on the head - its attracting the wildies at the expense of the bigger fish I'm worried about.

Maybe a big bunch of maggots in a PVA bag loaded with bloodworm pellets and maggots, dropped quietly in the margins would be the trick?

Thanks again to everybody for your ideas - it's all food for thought.

Cheers

Steve