Pre Baiting ...when and how much ?

craynerd

Well basically i have been out quite late on a few occasions now and on most of them there are inparticularly two guys who come down and pre bait there areas, however both do it in 2 very different ways!

One guy goes up to a tree and throws in about 3-4 handfulls of boilies within a 2 to 3 foot radius. Everyone he throws is bang on and baits no where else on the lodge! I have watched him and he really takes care over his accuracy.

The second guys who i have seen more frequently comes with a plastic bag full of boilies or maybe pellets?! (i think boilies!) and throws handfuls in in random areas across one side of the lake. Dont get me wrong he is targeting ares, for example he baits under a tree, but he must spred them within literally a 20foot radius maybe more. H also baits all the way along one banking! which is about 50 -60 foot.

I know where i wanna fish but i`m unsure on how i should be baiting up! Any help appreciated

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

I don't do much pre-baiting mate to be honest, but again, it very much depends on the water, in fact the individual swim!

I dae say the bloke up the tree was aware of a particular spot that is frequented by the carp, or was a known patrol route??? A bit of a job to say really.

Get up the tree yourself and have a look! ;o)

Watcha Chris, hows it goin buddy? :)

yea and when you are up there look out for a lighter spot, as it could be a clear spot in weed cleared by your fellow friend mr carpy,

On your spots, i would go down a little earlyer in the week before you fish, and go around with a carp scarer (Marker Float) and see what the bottom is like, looing out for clear patches where you are fishing, as one of the reasons you could be blacking chris is because you are fishing in weed, and everything has been engulfed by it! hence hiding everything you put out.

And if its hidden then the fishies dont know its there, unless it is very strong smelling.

Anyways go around with a marker float see what features you can find in your chosen swim and then bait up with various bits and bobs,

I have a few personal preferences for different spots, altho most incluce particles (i use a common mix of hemp, maize (or corn) and maples)

Clear spots in weedy areas:- depending on the time of year, altho now i am chucking in about a kilo of mixed cooked particles, with a few handfuls of boilies on top, and a few brazil nuts (all mixed into a few balls of Vitalin)

Gravel bars:- (i tend not to fish on them, but to bottom of them) i put in about 1-2k of mixed particles, and about 0.5k of boilies. (lots of vitalin, to get them on the munch

Silt:- 1-2k of particles

Sand:- 0.5-1k of Odd shaped boilies, and a small (0.5k) array of particles

Margins:- Broken boilies, ie. chopped up and all sorts of funy shapes. and some vitalin balls to get them on the munch.

Anything i have missed?

[ 26. March 2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: carping_mad ]

carping_mad:

Clear spots in weedy areas:- depending on the time of year, altho now i am chucking in about a kilo of mixed cooked particles, with a few handfuls of boilies on top, and a few brazil nuts (all mixed into a few balls of Vitalin)

Gravel bars:- (i tend not to fish on them, but to bottom of them) i put in about 1-2k of mixed particles, and about 0.5k of boilies. (lots of vitalin, to get them on the munch

Sand:- 0.5-1k of Odd shaped boilies, and a small (0.5k) array of particles

Margins:- Broken boilies, ie. chopped up and all sorts of funy shapes. and some vitalin balls to get them on the munch.

I wonder if you would mind explaining your above choices and why for each situation? Much appreciated! :)

yup no probs mate :) This is just my general play around.

quote:

I like this combination, as i find it gets the carp feeding and rumaging around in the weed, and to some extent, (while watching them) they seam to be able to uproot some of the weeds around it, so as well as keeping the fish foraging around for the feed, it also help to keep the spot clean, and so presentation is made a tad easyer, (depening on your chosen presentation method) and can make the spot usefuly for other species to, but if u dont like the odd bream and tench early on in the year, get rid of the vitalin.

quote:

Ok...this one, because i personaly have found that more fish tend not to feed so much on the bars, but at the bottom of them as i feel that this is where a fair amount of deposit collects, and so is a natural and rich food source for things like bloodworm shrimp etc to collect in, and so the fishies rumage around again in this lot, but also it tents do draw them in a little, i include boilies, to give them something harder to munch on and i just have more confidence in fishing with boilies in such regions.

quote:

This one because i feel that a fair amount of boilies made today, including my own ones, tend to take on a fair amount of bottom smells so i dont like the use many boilies on this type of bottom, but again the particles, are light and tend not to sink to far at all into the silt, and so rest in the top few layers leaking out their flavours all around.

quote:

And finaly this lot. as i have just caught more in the margins on this mixture than i have with anything else. so i supose this one is personal preference, but i have more confidence in it to. And you often see the match anglers either throwing the rest of their bait into the margins, or they take it home with them, i for one try to chuck my leftovers into either my spots, or a nice spot in the margins. :)

Hows that bud? :)

Hi all,

I used to visit my local as often as I could, which was roughly every other evening through the closed season, for a reccy and to prebait.

I used to fill my pockets with the boilies that I was using for that coming season. I used to take roughly 40 - 50 boilies every visit.

Whilst walking around I would climb trees, check the margins, etc, looking for carp. If I saw a carp I would drop 5 - 8 boilies on top of it's head, not bothering to be discrete.

If I didn't see any carp in the flesh I would find somewhere where I could sit and watch the water. If I saw any movement, ie, carp topping, crashing, head'n'tailing, then I would catapult 5 - 8 boilies directly on top of the carp.

My theory being:

• The carp would gain confidence from my boilies landing in close proximity to them, as would be the case if I was fishing for them.
  • The carp would become accustomed to my bait finding them, rather than them having to find the bait.
  • The carp would gain confidence in my bait, without having a hook in them.
  • Bait was being 'trickled' in rather than poured in and wasted.
  • I knew that my bait was where the carp were.
  • I knew how much of my bait was being eaten by my target species.
  • I knew where the carp hung-out and made constant notes.

Each weekend I would fish where the carp were and are, not where I wanted to fish.

In other words, always go to the carp, don't expect them to come to you unless you're prepared to wait.

This method worked for me, but then like mpbdsnu quite rightly said, methods certainly change from water to water.

Hope that helps.

[ 26. March 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

• 4 weeks later...