Maize

mr beef

am thinking of using some maize for the first time. but am thinking of giving it some flavour like tuti fruti. but wondered if any one could help with some questions?

1, when is the best point on adding the flavor? :confused: ie when 1st soaking it or in the cooking stage, or both? :confused:

2, also most flavours are oil based, so wont the flavor just sit flaoting on top of the water? or any ideas on non oil flavors? :confused:

Tight lines all? :D

mr beef:

am thinking of using some maize for the first time. but am thinking of giving it some flavour like tuti fruti. but wondered if any one could help with some questions?

1, when is the best point on adding the flavor? :confused: ie when 1st soaking it or in the cooking stage, or both? :confused:

2, also most flavours are oil based, so wont the flavor just sit flaoting on top of the water? or any ideas on non oil flavors? :confused:

Tight lines all? :D

Best time to be adding flavours is at the original soaking stage so the flavour is absorbed into the maize.

Ill be interested to find out how you get one with maize as tbh i have never had any real joy using it as bait, so please keep us posted.

I have used maize to excellent success, TBH much better than sweetcorn IMO, and I agree with dante add your flavour during the soaking period if you feel the need to?

Fantastic bait but I personally wouldn't add anything to it..

What sort of venues do you use it on Common and how do you use it, as loose feed as well as on the hair? loose feed and something else on the hair.

Please excuse the above questions Common just trying to sus out why i have had no joy with maize when most people regard it so highly, bit like tigers tbh had no joy with them either and yet they must be rated as one of the all time best baits for carp.

I use it on the hair either 2 pieces rigged or single rigged. I generally critically balance it with a small piece of yellow foam or fake maize. The loose feed would be maize or sweetcorn. I take the stuff everywhere when fishing mate, and I prefer it much more than boilies.

Time for me to try it again then i think, at least to try and put this gremlin of a bait to bed for me.

Silly isnt it, i have had fish on lumps of yellow plastic corn and yet never anything on maize :) do you prepare your own or do you use the pre prepared stuff? if so how long does it last once opened?

Thanks for your help common, will give it ago on its own, before trying it with flavour.

will let you know how i get on when i go thursday. thanks to you to dante, hope you do give it ago again. let me know how you get on. :D

I always put salt in when i cook mine i believe it brings out the flavour and seems to make it smell sweeter sounds strange but true :)

Also i always re-hydrate mine using the salted boiling water and left in a lidded bucket over night and cook for half hr next day after adding more water which should have been soaked in during re-hydration. :)