Maize

mr beef

About 1 large desert spoon per kilo of maize.

I have a large boiling pot and propane gas ring so can boil a bucket full at once (you may have to boil a lot of kettles or sauce pans closing lid each time)

I fill a bucket half way with maize bring the water to boil add the salt to disolve pour the salted water into the bucket and put the lid on tight,by morning maize has re-hydrated but still needs to be boiled to make sure its prepared properly

Hi Guys

Loads for me to think about here tbh i am going to give it another try on my local runs waters first to attempt to gain some confidence with the bait.

When ever i have prepared maize myself it always seems to split, is this normal or am i doing something wrong is this just down to maybe sub quality maize i am getting from my local pet food supplier (paranoia creeping in here perhaps)

Anyway keep up the posts lads this has really got the old grey matter turning now.

Its all down to timming realy,the desired result is to make the maize as safe as poss for the carp to eat without swelling inside them.

"If" you've tried to cook it till its soft you will find it splits becuase there is no way the husk will stay intact and keep whole.

If after the (pre-soak)you've added extra water and re-heated the whole lot to boiling point(again) just simmer for about 15mins to half hr depends on amount in the pot it should not plit but will have swolen to its max and be fluffy/powdery when you open a grain up with your finger nails,if it looks like its cooking too much after you take it off the cooker(residule heat)cool it down with some cold tap water added to the bucket.

Thanks for the info and i am gonna try it again and this time i am going to stick with it.

I must confess though i cheated and went and bought a tin of dynamite baits maize for tomorrows session being a lazy begger i didnt have the inclination to prep it myself lol.

mr beef:

thanks for the help, had no luck with the maize but will keep on trying it out.

Same here three sessions now and not a twitch all bites coming to good old boilies, still gonna persevere though :D:D