carp in snags

murphy

going back to the guy who said he uses 15lb snakebite and it snaps... matey throw it away its cream crackered if 15lb snaps and its not caused by snags !! granted zebra mussles etc.. will grate and cause line to snap but surely not just on playing the fish? i fish lakes with very very snaggy swims, pads and weed and trees and underwater stuff and 15lb has never done me before ! hook pulls? yes, and plenty of them to be expected but hooklink snaps on playing a fish? nope, if it did then its staright in the bin and anew spool brought !

sit on the rods and tighten up ! hit and hold ! no line given and slowly bring it back in ! under the rod tips would be the same, slack lines tight clutch hit and hold !

AND NO LEAD CORE IN SNAGS PLEASE !!! thats simply wrong !!

and please if you have any reservations about fishing snags DONT FISH THEM ! go and chuck a hundred yards into open water first, fish welfare is 110% the most important aspect of any carp anglers armoury

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this from another angle....

What is the "breaking strain" of a carps lip? I.e. how much pressure will it take before it is badly ripped (I'm aware this will depend on hook pattern)?

quote:

You *CAN'T* backwind a bigfast Barbel or Carp hooked under your rod tip, you *will* be snapped

That is not true (provided you reel is has anti-reverse SWITCHED OFF). You can let go of the reel handle and break turning reel the reel with your finger.

Rich

Talking about a big , active CarpBarbel hooked under the rod or very close in, that bolts very fast....

OK, you can, just, but it is just daft in my opinion. Using the Clutch is so far superior. (maybe less skillful, although you should hav ethe cluthc a little looser than 'break', then adjust it whilst playing)... I know this discussion has come up time and time again, and many will argue disagree again.

You will risk being snappedtangled by trying to 'control' a backwinding procedure.

The point I was trying to make is that alot of *British* anglers try to backwind because we have always used rear drag reels which to put it bluntly are *naff* in general.

These anglers (many of them the older guys) still backwind because they always started doing that because they *had to* .. the reels they were using had such awful drag it was the only way.

All in my opinion and I guess as long as people are happy with what they are doing....

Gong back to the title post.....

If you tie a Grinner knot as explained in all the 'diagrams' on the internet you will probably be snapped. I have yet to see a proper guide to tieing the Grinner.

quote:

[/QB]

These anglers (many of them the older guys)

I agree mate with your coments fully. but :D:D

Us OLDER guys can stil whip a****s

I 99% backwind with success (old school maybe) and now have the latest baitrunner reels, but still use my skills......

[ 08. August 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Interesting stuff, especially Dens bit about fishing to pads.

I am starting a thread called 'run of bad luck?'

Some of the stuff on this thread relates to it.

Barbless - on this thread I am starting I used Grinner knots and they were fine.............

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

hi

overall i think that you should get a stronger rod and stronger line and then when you hook a fish at the first few seconds give it some pull this will slow the fish down and it will stop fighting and go towards you to stop the strain on it then you can carry out the fighting of the fish

j.green

RUDD:

Interesting stuff, especially Dens bit about fishing to pads.

I am starting a thread called 'run of bad luck?'

Some of the stuff on this thread relates to it.

Barbless - on this thread I am starting I used Grinner knots and they were fine.............

Hi Rudd,

Cool, just make sure they are twice through the Eye knots, and that the two loops through the eye are uniform (not crossed over), if you see what I mean.